New Office! New remote control solution for Macs! New ‘Apple at Work’ pages!
Lots of new and interesting things this week to read up and keep up with.
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
#! On Scripting OS X
📰News and Opinion
- Apple is getting very, very serious about enterprise IT – Jonney Evans, Computerworld
- Apple accelerates US investment and job creation – Apple
- New macOS DNS hijacking malware discovered, also capable of screenshots, file access, more – Chance Miller, 9to5Mac
- Office for Mac turns ‘Suite 16’ – Bill Smith, Jamf Blog
- Microsoft adds drag and drop support in Office apps for iOS Insiders – MSPoweruser
- This was a comment on another post, but I… – Miles A. Leacy IV
- The end of the conference era – Marco Arment: This article is focussed on iOS/macOS developer conferences. I have a feeling most Mac focussed IT conferences are doing well.
- IT Kit – The best tools for IT professionals: New site attempting to surate a list of IT tools. The list is still quite thin, but seems to be biased towards Apple/Mac IT tools. Might be worth watching.
- Steve Troughton-Smith on Twitter: “It looks like Apple may be preparing Meltdown/Spectre mitigations for macOS 10.12 (Sierra) in an upcoming security update.”
- Not even wrong – ways to dismiss technology – Benedict Evans
🔨Support and HowTos
product idto a distribution pkg with Packages.app – Eric Holtam, osxbytes
- MacAutomation on Twitter: “Live Import into Photos from tethered iPhone”
- Bear on Twitter: “@kjaymiller made an AppleScript that imports multi-line text into Things as tasks”
- Suppressing auto-update checks for Microsoft Visual Studio Code for Mac – Daz Wallace, moof IT
- FileVault recovery key redirection profile changes in macOS High Sierra – Rich Trouton
- Analyzing a New macOS DNS Hijacker: OSX/MaMi – Patrick Wardle, Objective-See
- VMware Fusion API Explorer
- Bootstrappr – Greg Neagle
- Oracle Java 9 JDK and JRE installation scripts for macOS – Rich Trouton
- New ‘Apple at Work’ pages and documents
- Employee Starter Guide for Mac
- Use PIV Mandatory authentication
- About the security content of Xcode 9.2
♻️Updates and Releases
- TCM – Twocanoes Software Remote Control for Mac
- Office 2016 for Mac 16.9.0 (the download links at macadmins.software have also been updated)
- WhiteBox Packages 1.2.2
- Louis D’hauwe on Twitter: “Sad news: Terminal has been removed from the iOS App Store for being “too similar to Terminal”
- The Future of Mac Labs, with Neil Martin – Mac Admins Podcast
- Siri needs to become a platform – Rene Ritchie, Vector Podcast
I do not have any ads on my webpage or this newsletter. However, if you want to support me and this website, then please consider buying one (or both) of my books. (Imagine it’s like a subscription fee, but you also get one or two useful books on top!)
If you have already bought and read the books, please leave a review on the iBooks Store. Reviews are important to help new potential readers make the purchase decision. Thank you (again)!