I have been working with Macs and other Apple devices for over twenty-five years and probably held most existing technical job titles at one time or another. I worked for nearly ten years at Apple Germany and US as a Systems Engineer, Consulting Engineer, and Solutions Architect.
Then I worked for five years as System Administrator at University of Southern California where I had to put Mac management theory in to practice with Jamf Casper, Munki, and many, many custom scripts and packages.
We recently moved back to Europe which gives me an opportunity to ponder my career, the present and future of Mac management, and write about all of it.
I have written five books for Apple Administrators:
- macOS Installation for Apple Administrators
- Packaging for Apple Administrators
- Property Lists, Preferences and Profiles for Apple Administrators
- Moving to zsh
- macOS Terminal and Shell
I regularly give presentations on topics relevant to Apple Administration and Scripting at conferences and meeting. Some are available online:
- Mac Manager Meeting, Marriot Library of the University of Utah, January 2017, “Packaging”
- MacSysAdmin, Göteborg, October 2017, “Scripting Bash”
- MacAD.UK, London, February 2018, “Terminal Wizardry and Witchcraft”
- MacSysAdmin, Göteborg, October 2018, “Swift for Apple Admins”
- MacAD.UK, London, March 2019, “Modern Deployment Workflows for Business”
- MacSysAdmin, Göteborg, October 2019, “Moving to zsh”
- Texas Apple Admins Virtual, May 2020, “Obscure Terminal Features”
- PSU Mac Admins Conference, Campfire Session, May 2020, “Moving to zsh”
- Virtual JNUC 2020, October 2020, “Scripting Jamf Pro”
- MacSysAdmin Online 2020, October 2020, “Practical Scripting”
- MacDeployment 2021, June 2021, “An Online Presentation on Presenting Online“
- MacDevOps YVR 2021, June 2021, “The Encyclopedia of Packages“
- MacSysAdmin Online 2021, Oct 2021, “Let’s Swift Again“
I have had the honor of being on several podcasts:
- MacAdmins Podcast, Episode 33, April 2017
- MacAD.UK Speaker Interview (Jan 2018): Want to write a book? Armin Briegel Talks Self Publishing macOS and iBooks
- MacAdmins Podcast, Episode 102 – Erase All the Things
- CommandControlPower, Episode 342, Jan 2020
- MacAdmins Podcast, Episode 206 – What are you doing with your COVID time? Writing books I see!
- MacAdmin Monthly: 2021-03-09
- CommandControlPower Podcast, March 2021, Episode 406
- MacDevOps YVR Podcast: 2021-05-18 with Csaba Fitzl