Welcome to the last news summary of 2018. I will be taking off next week for the holidays. I don’t expect much will happen, but if it does, you will see it the first news summary of the new year, on (or around) January 4, 2019.
This was the first full year of the News Summary. I wrote 49 summaries this year. The number of subscribers more than quadrupled, which is both exciting and humbling. I am too lazy to whip up a script to get an exact count but that adds up to about 1500 links to tweets, articles, updates and posts.
I merely gather all these links. The summary would not be possible without something to summarize. My never-ending gratitude goes out to all the people who generously share their expertise and time in all these posts, on the different fora, and in person.
Thank you for writing, and thank you all for reading!
I hope you all get to enjoy a break for the holidays and New Year.
Happy Holidays and all the best for the New Year!
News and Opinion
- Last Week on My Mac: What is Apple up to? – Howard Oakley
- Apple’s biggest misses of 2018 – Rene Ritchie, Vector (The title seems quite sensational, but this is a great summary.)
- App Store Now Allows Gifting IAPs – Michael Tsai
MacAdmins on Twitter
- Arek Dreyer: “macOS Support Essentials 10.14 Supporting and Troubleshooting macOS Mojave Exam Preparation Guide was posted! It’s posted at the bottom of the course description page, but here’s the direct link. https://training.apple.com/content/dam/appletraining/us/en/2018/documents/macOS_Support_Essentials_10_14_Exam_Preparation_Guide.pdf”
- Carl Ashley: “Dear macOS software devs. If you build apps that trigger user consent prompts – aka TCC, please thoroughly document ALL affected binaries with the file path & what PPPCP payloads are required to make the prompts go away. Make this info readily available. MacAdmins will love you.”
Bugs and Security
- On the First Day of APOLLO, My True Love Gave to Me – A Python Script – An Introduction to the Apple Pattern of Life Lazy Output’er (APOLLO) Blog Series — Sarah Edwards (Keep reading the blog for the rest of the series.)
- Mojave happily runs apps with revoked signatures, and more – Howard Oakley
- Middle East Cyber-Espionage – Objective-See’s Blog
Support and HowTos
- Packaging SAP GUI for macOS with Java 11 support – Rich Trouton
- Jamf and Product Issues – we’ve got a list! – Neil Martin
- Cleaning up sensitive files: How to sanitise storage – Howard Oakley
- APFS- Apple file system – Alex Usov
- Managing Mac Kiosks – Marriott Library
- Preparing your Mac for disposal – Howard Oakley
- Be wary when traveling — Jason Miller
Scripting and Automation
- Backing up extension attributes from Jamf Pro – Rich Trouton
- Extension Attribute to Detect WindShift in macOS – Charles Edge
Updates and Releases
- Talking Scalability with MacAdmins Monthly – Charles Edge
- MacTech Conference 2018 – Session Videos on YouTube
There are no ads on my webpage or this newsletter. If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
- Weekly Email Newsletter (TinyLetter)
- Apple News
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!