Between Memorial Day in the US, Ascension Day in parts of Europe, and WWDC looming next week, this was a quiet news week.
Apple did have one more thing to get out before WWDC: the iPod touch was updated with the A10 processor.
Now, only the Mac Pro remains as a device that has not been updated in the last two years. (MacBook barely makes the two years limit with its last update in June 2017.)
In other news, the first “Scripting macOS” class took place this week. The attendees (and I) believe it went really well! You can still sign up for the next class here. If the next date doesn’t suite you, please use the contact form and let us know when you would like a class. We will be scheduling additional classes soon and your input will be considered.
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
On Scripting OS X
News and Opinion
- WWDC, A Wish List (2019 Edition) – Steve Troughton-Smith, MacStories
- 21 macOS and iOS Twitter Accounts You Should Be Following – SentinelOne
- We believe that what’s in our store says a lot about who we are – Jeff Johnson
- Jamf Connect now offers Ping Identity integration – Kaylee Carlson, Jamf
- WWDC by Sundell (New website with daily coverage from WWDC)
MacAdmins on Twitter
- Graham Pugh: “IBM SPSSStatistics 26 still needs Java installed in order to get installed on Mac, but installs a JRE as part of the installation. How hard would it be to put the JRE in the installer itself?”
- Timo Perfitt: “Right Click->Open to Install?… ” (Click for image)
- Tom Bridge: “So, I’ve spent a little time with Mosyle + Google SSO + DEP tonight, and I gotta hand it to the team at @mosyle_biz : That’s a helluva beta. I can see that being HIGHLY useful.”
Bugs and Security
- Complete guide to Mac ransomware: What it is & how to remove it – Fleetsmith Blog
- New Linux Malware ‘HiddenWasp’ Borrows from Mirai, Azazel – Threatpost
Support and HowTos
- Reinstall macOS using installr – Alan Siu
- Allow Local Only Account Login – Nathaniel Strauss
- Using AutoPkg 1.1’s recipe template creation option – Rich Trouton
- Change the FileVault login background in Mojave – Eric Hemmeter
- What is Apple User Approved MDM (UAMDM)? – Jesse Endahl, Fleetsmith Blog
- Can you tell whether code has been notarized? – Howard Oakley
Scripting and Automation
- Getting Started with the EC2 Plugin For Jenkins – Ross Derewianko
- Bash Job Control – Cindy Sridharan
Updates and Releases
Just for Fun
There are no ads on my webpage or this newsletter. If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
- Weekly Email Newsletter (TinyLetter)
- Apple News
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!