We got a remarkable series of open source updates this week. AutoPkg, JSSImporter, and Outset all published updates that make the project independent of the pre-installed Python 2.7 on macOS. Since Python 2.7 will be deprecated really soon, Apple had announced that future macOS versions will not include a pre-installed Python anymore. These projects join Munki which had the update with “Python” independency with version 4.0 in December. Thanks to all contributors who put their efforts into these open source projects!
The next beta cycle for the Apple operating systems started this week. Once again, it looks as it if the “Spring Updates” for macOS 10.15.4 and iOS 13.4 will add features and changes relevant for users and administrators. Check out the details in the AppleSeed for IT portal.
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
On Scripting OS X
MacAdmins on Twitter
- Martin Lang: “The number of SAP colleagues who chose a Mac as their primary computer has doubled over the last 15 months, it’s at almost 26K now with 82% of them running the latest macOS Catalina”
- Laura Rösler: “We‘ve finally more than 26,000 Macs at SAP ….and crossed the 85% for macOS Catalina.”
- Andrew Laurence: “For those in the ITlife who might not be familiar: MS plans to flip configurations on DCs, requiring either packet signing on LDAP connections, or using TLS with LDAP. This has been recommended for years.” (Thread)
- Parker Higgins: “I used to wonder why the interfaces on Star Trek are so clunky given that it’s centuries in the future, but I guess that’s just Enterprise software for you”
Bugs and Security
- Apple Mail Encryption bug fixed – Bob Gendler
- Serious flaw that lurked in sudo for 9 years hands over root privileges – Dan Goodin, Ars Technica
Support and HowTos
- The Joys of Colour Calibration – Anthony Reimer
- Jamf Connect Login and Enrollment Customization (Azure AD) – Frederick Abeloos
- Notarize it! – DAM SAN (Note: in most cases MacAdmins do not need to notarize re-packaged apps. If you didn’t compile it, don’t notarize it.)
- Catalina 10.15.3 Update Reverts Custom pam.d & sshd_config Settings – Mr Macintosh
- A Guide to Configuring macOS Catalina Bootstrap Token Using Jamf – HCS Technology Group
- How long does your Mac keep its log for? – Howard Oakley
Scripting and Automation
Updates and Releases
- outset 3.0.0
- AutoPkg 2.0.2
- JSSImporter 1.1.0
- Note that the changes for AutoPkg and JSSImporter are significant and not all recipes are updated to work yet, so test before upgrading production.
- Ulbow 1.1b1
There are no ads on my webpage or this newsletter. If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
- Weekly Email Newsletter (TinyLetter)
- Apple News
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!