For now this has been a quiet week. Since Apple announced another event next week, possibly a calm before the storm. After Apple announced iOS 14 with 24 hours notice, MacAdmins are understandably a bit nervous. Also, no new betas this week (so far).
On the other hand, after JNUC last week, we had MacSysAdmin this week. I have not been able to watch all presentations yet, but those that I have seen have been worth it and I am looking forward to the rest.
In other news, this newsletter just passed the 1000 email subscribers number! Thank you all for reading, and on to the next thousand!
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
News and Opinion
- Windows 10 machines running on ARM will be able to emulate x64 apps soon – Samuel Axon, Ars Technica
- Last Week on My Mac: Pretend it never happened – Howard Oakley
- MacSysAdmin 2020 – Ed Marczak
macOS 11 Big Sur and iOS 14
MacAdmins on Twitter
- Eliz: “Please don’t say just “Hello” in a chat #NoHello” (Read thread and links for background. I find myself doing that a lot, too, and have resvoled to do better.)
Bugs and Security
Support and HowTos
- How To Downgrade Safari 14 to 13 – Supported & Unsupported Options – Mr. Macintosh
- A sneaky peak at the new Jamf Self Service – Mod Titan
- MacSysAdmin 2020 update: This One Goes to 11 – Greg Neagle
- This One Goes to 11: macOS version comparisons and Munki – Greg Neagle
- VMware Fusion Player 12 is FREE! Test macOS, Linux or Windows 10 – Mr Macintosh
- Inside the file system: 3 APFS containers and volumes – Howard Oakley
- Managing and reporting unauthorized (admin) account creation – Frederick Abeloos
Scripting and Automation
- Environment Variables – Julia Evans
- Brackets Cheatsheet – Julia Evans
- Working with Swifty NSNotification – Alexis Bridoux
Updates and Releases
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
- Weekly Email Newsletter (TinyLetter)
- Apple News
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!