We finally got those Apple Silicon based MacBooks Pro this week. And they do look very nice! You have probably already read all about them. To prepare for the new M1 Pro and Max goodness, we will also get macOS 12 Monterey (and iOS 15.1 and siblings) on next Monday, October 25. Do you feel ready?
I have decided to call the 16″ a “MacBook Pro Max,” just to sow confusion.
Support this weekly news summary
macOS Terminal and Shell:
You have always wanted to ‘learn Terminal,‘ right? This book teaches how (and why) to use the command line on macOS. Get it on Apple Books!
(If you have already bought the book, please leave a review on the Apple Books Store. Thank you!)
If you think your company or product is a good fit to sponsor this newsletter, please contact me!
In preparation for the OS releases next week, we got not just one, but two realease candidates. Unfortunately, it does not look like there will be a full installer of either RC, so no final deployment testing workflows. (There is an IPSW for Apple Configurator, so you can test those.)
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
News and Opinion
- Tech Talks – Apple Developer
- Changes to Apple School Manager and Apple Business Manager – James Ridsdale, dataJAR
New MacBooks Pro with M1 Pro and Max
- A Running List of Small Details About Apple’s New MacBook Pros – Stephen Hackett, 512 Pixels
- Start Up: A song made from 45 years of Apple sounds – YouTube
- Le retour du MacBook Pro – Guillaume Gète
- On The Much Improved State of Macintosh Hardware – Quentin Carnicelli, Rogue Amoeba
macOS 12 Monterey and iOS 15
- Prepare for new configuration profile requirements in iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and macOS Monterey – Apple Support
- Apple’s Long Journey to the M1 Pro Chip | by Steven Sinofsky | Oct, 2021 | Learning By Shipping
- What’s really coming in Monterey and other macOS updates next week – Howard Oakley
- macOS Monterey 12.0.1 RC (21A558) is Live! What’s New? – Mr. Macintosh
- macOS Monterey 12.0.1 RC2 (21A559) is Live! What’s New? – Mr. Macintosh
macOS and iOS Updates
MacAdmins on Twitter
- Rich Trouton: “If you want an Intel processor in your new Mac, here are your options: 21.5 inch iMac, 27 inch iMac, Mac Pro. All other Mac models are now Apple Silicon Macs.” (Mac mini added in a later tweet)
- Brian Stucki: “FYI: There was one small addition in the macOS SLA for Monterey. (highlighted in the image) It’s especially helpful for those who run virtual machines on their Mac. Thanks!” (Highlighted passage: “run up to two (2) additional copies of the Apple Software, or any prior macOS or OS X operation system software or subsequent release of the Apple Software”)
Security and Privacy
- The new Jamf 370 Course. Apple security knowledge you need – Jamf Blog
- macOS Security Compliance Project: Monterey Guidance Revision 1
Support and HowTos
- Explainer: file types – Howard Oakley
- Microsoft now provides curated deferral channels for AutoUpdate – Kevin M. Cox
- Who started that Mac up? How Macs can start up on their own – Howard Oakley
- Installing macOS in VMware Fusion – Alan Siu
Scripting and Automation
- Getting started with Shortcuts: 1 Basics – Howard Oakley
- LaunchDaemons – Rebecca Latimer
- Deploying and running docklib scripts using Outset – Elliot Jordan
Updates and Releases
- Erin Merchant and Six Magical Months – Mac Admins Podcast
- Less Than A Minute Remaining — Command-Control-Power
- Flashcast: Unleashed – Mac Admins Podcast
- All the Apple Updates and Shiny Predictions – MacDevOpsYVR
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!