After all the announcements of the last weeks, this week feels quieter. Something must be going in on Cupertino, as we have not gotten betas for macOS 12.4/iOS 15.4 yet. Maybe the developers have to start preparing their WWDC sessions.
The Fusion of Apple MDM, Identity, Patching & Security.
Mosyle Fuse is the first and only product to bring a perfect blend of an Enterprise-grade MDM, an innovative solution for macOS Identity Management, automated application installation and patching, and purpose-built multi-layer endpoint security, all specially designed for Apple devices used at work at a price point that’s almost unexplainable.
Click here to learn more!
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
News and Opinion
- Apple announces new coaching program for educators – Apple “new feature coming to Apple School Manager and Apple Business Manager: integration with Google Workspace identity services”
- Explaining the Mac Studio’s removable SSDs, and why you can’t simply swap them out – Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica
- The Business Case for the Mac – Ben Bajarin, Creative Strategies
- macOS Support Essentials 12 – Peachpit (get 35% off with code
MACOS12until March 31, 2022)
macOS and iOS Updates
- Shortcuts in iOS 15.4 and macOS 12.3
- Firmware updates for Apple Studio Display
- Apple Configurator 2.15.1
MacAdmins on Twitter
- Mr. Macintosh: “The Mac Studio has arrived! I’ll go over a few details others might not have covered” (Thread)
Security and Privacy
- macOS Red Teaming: Initial access via AppleScript URL – Wojciech Reguła
- Storm Cloud on the Horizon: GIMMICK Malware Strikes at macOS – Damien Cash, Steven Adair, Thomas Lancaster, Volexity
- The Art and Science of macOS Malware Hunting with radare2: Leveraging Xrefs, YARA and Zignatures – Phil Stokes, SentinelOne
- Top 10 security threats for enterprise. Ready for Ransomware as a service? – Jesus Vigo, Jamf Blog
🔨Support and HowTos
- The AppleSeed for IT program is essential for success with major macOS releases – Bradley Chambers, Apple @ Work, 9to5Mac
- The Mac Hardware/Software Obsolescence Chart – Anthony Reimer (updated)
- In the weeds with the App Installers preview – Emily Kausalik
- profiles command includes client-side rate limitation for certain functions on macOS 12.3 – Rich Trouton
- Microsoft Enterprise SSO plug-in in Jamf Pro – Microsoft Docs
- BYOD Patch Management Best Practices – Brenna Lee, JumpCloud
- Attention à la Pythoncalypse de macOS ! – Guillaume Gète.
Scripting and Automation
- Set up and use Apple Studio Display
- Use Apple Studio Display or Pro Display XDR with Boot Camp
- Fine-tune the calibration of your Apple Studio Display
- Identify your Mac Studio model
- Mac computers with Apple silicont
- Manage macOS updates with Mobile Device Management (MDM) (updated)
Updates and Releases
- Jamf Pro 10.37 (App Installers FAQ)
- New in Microsoft Endpoint Manager (March ’22) – Ramya Chitrakar, Microsoft Endpoint Manager Blog
- Roundtable – Mac Admins Podcast
- Tipping Appreciated? — Command-Control-Power
- So Many Talks – MacDevOpsYVR
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!