Things are calming down with the upcoming summer. We did get a series of new betas for macOS Ventura and iOS 16 this week.
CrateDepression: Rust Supply-Chain Attack Infects Cloud CI Pipelines with Go Malware
Mac and Linux users were targeted with Mythic payload as attackers sought to infect entire user populations at once through a malicious Rust crate.
In personal news, Covid has finally caught up with me after dodging it for more than two years. My symptoms are mild, thanks to being vaccinated, but I couldn’t attend and present at the Jamf Nation Live event in Munich, something I had been looking forward to very much. Many thanks to Mischa and Rob who jumped in and covered my sessions and all the other Jamf co-workers in Munich. Maybe next year…
If I can’t present in person, I will present remotely. Next week, June 30, I will remotely present on Patch Management at the MacAdminsUA meeting in Kyiv, Ukraine!
If you think your company or product is a good fit to sponsor this newsletter, please contact me!
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
News and Opinion
- For Your Consideration: iPad as Primary Work Device – Caleb Basinger, Kandji Blog
- Apple’s Feedback Mechanism is Broken – Casey Liss
- Mail Merge returns to Pages after nine years – Dan Moren, Six Colors
- MacDevOps YVR 2022 Roundup – MacStadium Blog
- How Mac Admins is boosting Apple training efforts – Billy Hurley, IT Brew
macOS Ventura and iOS 16
- Apple MDM: What’s New with macOS Ventura and iOS 16 Updates? – Tom Bridge, JumpCloud
- macOS Ventura Beta 2 (22A5286j) is Live! What’s New? – Mr. Macintosh
- Verify Apple devices with no installed software – Kenny Johnson, Cloudflare Blog
- Thomas Larking (LinkedIn): “This week my team and I released Munki to our entire fleet. We took our time to build it right and I wanted to share some quick thoughts about skill and background diversity on my team…”
- Salajander: “
hiutilare all valid commands on macOS.”
- Anthony Reimer: “I’ve updated my Mac Obsolescence Chart with the upcoming MacBook Pro and Air models, plus I’ve marked the models for which Monterey will be their terminal OS.”
Support and HowTos
- What is Apple Business Manager? – SimpleMDM
- Mind Maps and Other Ideation Tools – Pam Lefkowitz, JumpCloud
Scripting and Automation
- Export Objects from Keychain – Charles Edge
- Bearer Token Authorization Recipe – Jamf API Documentation
- New Kandji Connector with Okta Workflows Enables No-Code Automations – Kandji Blog
- Pages 12.1: Mac, iOS, iCloud
- Keynote 12.1: Mac, iOS, iCloud (no update notes for iCloud yet)
- Numbers 12.1: Mac, iOS, iCloud
- Apple Business Essentials release notes
- Mac Admins Foundation PSU MacAdmins Campfire Session video now available – MacAdmins.org
- Visual Studio Code for Mac Admins: MDOYVR22 – James Smith
- MDOYVR 22 Talk: The Encyclopedia of macOS Automation – Scripting OS X
- The Mac Admins Foundation – Apple@Work, 9to5Mac
- Past Performance Is No Guarantee Of Future Results – Command-Control-Power
- Solve it like an admin. Why it’s important to ask ‘why’? – Reaktor
- Summertime in the world of P-12 – Mac Admins Podcast
- Securing the software supply chain, with Kim Lewandowski – Lock and Code S03E13, Malwarebytes Labs
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!