The first Apple event this Fall is over. We got new iPhones, AirPods Pro and Apple Watches, including the new Apple Watch Ultra. Even though I don’t do any sports at the extreme level this watch is designed for, (some might argue I don’t do any sport at all which would be only a mild exaggeration) I am very tempted by the Ultra. Maybe it is time to refresh my diver’s license after ~20 years…
The only Apple Unified Platform for Business
Mosyle is the only solution that fully integrates Enhanced MDM, Endpoint Security, Internet Privacy & Security, Single Sign-On, and Application Management on a single Apple-only platform.
Click here to learn why Mosyle is all you need to work with Apple.
iOS 16, watchOS 9 and tvOS 16 will be released September 12. iPadOS 16 and macOS Ventura are now marked as “Coming this October.” We also got release candidates for iOS and iPadOS 15.7 and macOS 12.6, which will probably be released alongside iOS 16.
This was the first event this fall. I expect at least one more, but more likely two events, which will cover the remaining product lines. Most relevant to MacAdmins, Apple said they would transition the entire Mac product line to Apple silicon in two years. This self-imposed deadline runs out this November and the Mac Pro is the remaining Intel Mac on the product line. (You can also still order an Intel Mac mini, but might also just be Apple’s option if someone requires Intel for backwards compatibility.) It should be interesting to see what Apple has in store for the Mac and the iPad, later this year.
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
News and Opinion
macOS Ventura and iOS 16
- How to restore the Preferences menu item to macOS Ventura – Jeff Johnson
- Mr. Macintosh: “macOS Ventura will be released in ‘October'”
Support and HowTos
- Lightly “sandboxed” homebrew on macOS – Mike Lynne
- Use UTM To Run Virtual Machines of macOS from macOS – Charles Edge
Scripting and Automation
Updates and Releases
- Macjutsu/super 2.0
- Munki 6.0 Beta 2
- Jamf Pro 10.41
- Changes to the App Installers installation process… – Justin Clark, Jamf Nation Community
- cirruslabs/tart 0.26.1 (via Dan Snelson)
- MacAdmins In Higher Education – Mac Admins Podcast
- Interview With Dave Hamilton – CEO of BackBeat Media, Mac Geek Gab, Gig Gab, and Business Brain Podcasts — Command-Control-Power
- Best of breed accessories are critical when working at home – Apple @ Work Podcast, 9to5Mac
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!