As I am preparing to travel to JNUC next week, I don’t really have much insightful, or even witty intro… We got an iOS update and a new round of betas. Even if I am distracted, we got some wonderful posts by wonderful people sharing their knowledge and insights. Go read those and many thanks to authors for sharing.
(Sponsor: vast limits)
uberAgent: application performance monitoring
uberAgent is an innovative user experience monitoring product for macOS and Windows. uberAgent’s highlights include detailed information about application performance, network reliability drill-downs, application usage metering, browser performance, and web app metrics. Try for yourself and get your free 100 user community license at uberagent.com.
If you are also at JNUC, I have some Scripting OS X shebang “#!” stickers for those who know to ask (and as long as the supply lasts).
If you ordered MacSysAdmin T-Shirts last year, you also got a surprise Scripting OS X shebang sticker. If you order a MacSysAdmin T-shirt this year (and you still can), you will get a different Scripting OS X sticker. Many thanks to Mischa van der Bent who turned my idea into a great design. You should order a MacSysAdmin T-shirt whether you want the sticker or not, to support the conference which is online October 4–7.
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
News and Opinion
- Check out our new technical blog, Tech Thoughts! – Jeni Asaba, Jamf Tech Thoughts
- The iPhone 14 Feature Apple Didn’t Tell You About | iFixit News
macOS Ventura and iOS 16
- macOS Ventura Beta 8 (22A5352e) is Live! What’s New? – Mr. Macintosh
- Zeroing Freed Memory – Michael Tsai
- System Settings in Ventura: a turn for the worse? – Howard Oakley
- Apple can patch Ventura on the fly: RSR is coming – Howard Oakley
macOS and iOS Updates
- iOS 16 Updates (16.0.1 and 16.0.2)
- watchOS 9.0.1
Security and Privacy
- Every unsandboxed app has Full Disk Access if Terminal does – Jeff Johnson
- How to check an app’s signature – Howard Oakley (Nice Overview. I really like Apparency for inspecting apps.
- Explaining the Backlash to the SSO Tax – Nick Moore, Kolide
Support and HowTos
- Xcode 14’s New Platforms Packaging Format – Tim Sutton
- How to Configure Jamf Connect with Okta – HCS Technology Group
- A follow-up on making Outlook meetings shorter – Dr. Emily Kausalik-Whittle
- How to start planning your Mac and Windows patching strategy – Paul Cossey, dataJAR
- The Blessings of Failure – Dan K. Snelson
Scripting and Automation
- How to convert Classic API scripts to use bearer t… – Bill Smith, Jamf Tech Thoughts
- Determining URL scheme handlers in macOS – brunerd (I have a reply to this that I should write up in a blog post, but until I find the time to that, you can read this thread in MacAdmins if you ware interested.)
Updates and Releases
- Would You Like Fries With That? – Command-Control-Power
- The State of the Update – Mac Admins Podcast
- Enterprise password management required better technology – Apple @ Work Podcast, 9to5Mac
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!