Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate it this week! Happy “quieter than usual” Thursday and Friday to everyone else!
Your favorite tool for configuring & provisioning fleets of Apple mobile devices
Automatically back up devices, restore, wipe, set up, supervise, and enroll with your MDM provider—locally and easily with iMazing Configurator.
And don’t miss iMazing Profile Editor, our free and well-loved utility for composing comprehensive configuration profiles for iPhones, iPads, and Macs.
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
News and Opinion
- The Mac Admins Foundation – Emily, Jamf Tech Thoughts
- Why I’m thankful for Universal Control on my Mac and iPad – Jason Snell, Macworld (Universal Control is one of my favorite features in macOS/iPadOS, too)
macOS Ventura and iOS 16
- L0Psec on Twitter: “When querying macOS unified logs via the log command, I was looking for a location of known subsystems I could use. Found them within:
/System/Library/Preferences/Logging/Subsystems/On 12.6.1, this directory contains 292 plists. Example in screenshot.”
- Mr. Macintosh on Twitter: “Almost a month after the release of Ventura, Monterey has taken the lead. Monterey took the lead from Ventura on November 10th and has not given it up since then.”
- @Morpheus______ on Twitter: “macOS/iOS Entitlements Database now with Monterey and Ventura entitlements.”
Security and Privacy
- macOS Sandbox Escape vulnerability via Terminal – Wojciech Reguła
- Techniques for String Decryption in macOS Malware with Radare2 – Phil Stokes, SentinelOne
Support and HowTos
- macOS Upgrades and Updates Using a Mass Action Command – Jamf
- Changing preferences isn’t so simple – Howard Oakley
- Dealing with a dysfunctional Desktop – Howard Oakley
Scripting and Automation
- autopkg-conductor updated to support reporting to Slack and Microsoft Teams – Rich Trouton
- Setup Your Mac via swiftDialog (1.4.0) – Dan K. Snelson
- Swift UI Tutorial – Scripting OS X (Part 3 on the Jamf Blog, overview page)
- Swift, Shells In The 1960s, And Some Swift Scripting Examples For Admins – Charles Edge
- Create a bootable installer for macOS (Updated some layout and text)
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!