For change, this was a week without an update, security or otherwise. MacAdmins have still been busy doing and sharing their research. Thank you all so very much for all the great articles.
The only Apple Unified Platform for Business
Mosyle is the only solution that fully integrates Enhanced MDM, Endpoint Security, Internet Privacy & Security, Single Sign-On, and Application Management on a single Apple-only platform.
Click here to learn why Mosyle is all you need to work with Apple.
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
📰News and Opinion
- Graham Gilbert on Mastodon: “This week my team was discussing ways to make it less painful on users to keep our macOS fleet up to date. They’re rightly fed up with the backlash every time we need to enforce an update. But guess what? macOS is our second largest platform. We do not get any complaints from our Chrome OS or Windows users. The update stories on those platforms simply work. This shouldn’t be on IT professionals to solve. Apple is failing its customers in not providing adequate tools to keep them secure.”
- MacAdmins Conference: “2023 MacAdmins Conference – Workshops announced! Registration is now OPEN!“
🔐Security and Privacy
- Apple’s Macs Have Long Escaped Ransomware. That May Be Changing – Lily Hat Newman, Wired
- LockBit ransomware on Mac: Should we worry? Jovi Umawing, Malwarebytes Labs
- Triple Threat: NSO Group’s Pegasus Spyware Returns in 2022 with a Trio of iOS 15 and iOS 16 Zero-Click Exploit Chains – Bill Marczak, John Scott-Railton, Bahr Abdul Razzak, and Ron Deibert, The Citizen Lab
- Enhance your security posture with Jamf Pro Device Compliance and Jamf Protect – Thijs Xhaflaire, Jamf Tech Thoughts
- The Web of Connections with iOS 16.4.1 – Jamf Threat Labs
🔨Support and HowTos
- How to Resolve Managed Apple ID Conflicts – HCS Technology Group
- “I love SQL” and other lies you tell yourself – Mat X
- Lockdown Mode in iOS 16.4 Breaks Web Forms – Michael Tsai
🤖Scripting and Automation
- Using the plutil command line tool to work with JSON on macOS Monterey and later – Rich Trouton
- “rosetter” is a shell/CLI tool to enable (or disable) opening apps using Rosetta
- A list of programming playgrounds – Julia Evans
- Trigger Jamf Pro Policy at Login or Reboot – Dan K. Snelson
- Use AutoPkg to install applications into the User Applications folder – Graham R Pugh
- PowerShell for the Mac Admin, Part 4: Blue Canary in the Outlet By the Light Switch – Charles Mangin, Radical Admin Blog
♻️Updates and Releases
- Introducing: Red Canary Mac Monitor
- Jamf Compliance Editor 1.1.3
- Munki 6.3 Official Release
- Setup Your Mac 1.10.0-rc13
🎈Just for Fun
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!