Release week number one! We got iOS 17 and all the siblings. Next week, the updates will continue with the macOS Sonoma release on Sep 26, which Apple already set the stage for with security updates for iOS 16 and 17, and macOS Monterey and Ventura yesterday, as well as a second RC for macOS Sonoma.
The only Apple Unified Platform for Business
Mosyle is the only solution that fully integrates Enhanced MDM, Endpoint Security, Internet Privacy & Security, Single Sign-On, and Application Management on a single Apple-only platform.
Click here to learn why Mosyle is all you need to work with Apple.
As expected, Big Sur did not get a security update. But there is a Safari update for Big Sur and Monterey. Apple’s productivity apps (Keynote, Numbers, Pages, iMovie and some of the Pro apps) also got updates.
The new iPhones 15 and Apple watches are shipping today. I am getting a new Series 9 watch, which will be an upgrade from my previous Series 5, where the battery has trouble lasting through my busier days. I am also considering upgrading from my iPhone 12 mini to the iPhone 15 Pro. My wife has the 14 Pro and I am very envious of the camera. But I want to go to the Apple Store and hold and feel the new phone first, and then decide whether to order or wait whether the mini form factor will see a revival in the next generation of the iPhone SE. (I don’t have much hope.)
Jamf Nation User Conference was this week, and from what I saw from afar, everyone had a great time. You can find a summary of the keynote on the Jamf blog.
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
News and Opinion
- New: Amazon EC2 M2 Pro Mac Instances Built on Apple Silicon M2 Pro Mac Mini Computers – Channy Yun, AWS News Blog
- Apple is Doomed, Revisited – Horace Dediu Asymco
- IDC sees big enterprise shift to Macs over next 12 months – Jonny Evans, Computerworld
iOS and iPad OS 17
- iOS 17.0: About, Enterprise, User Guide
- iPadOS 17.0: About, Enterprise, User Guide
- iOS and iPadOS 17.0: Developer Release Notes, Security
- iOS and iPadOS 17.0.1: Security
- iOS and iPadOS 16.7: Security
- macOS Ventura 13.6 (22G120): About, Security
- macOS Monterey 12.7 (21G816): Security
- Safari 17.0: Blog post, Developer Release Notes
- Safari 16.6.1 for Big Sur and Monterey: Security
- watchOS 10.0: About
- watchOS 10.0.1: Security
- watchOS 9.6.3: Security
- tvOS 17.0: About, Guide, Developer Release Notes, Security
- HomePod Software 17.0: About
- Firmware updates for AirPods
- Swift 5.9
- Xcode 15.0: Mac App Store, Developer Downloads, Developer Release Notes
- Pages 13.2: Mac, iPhone, iCloud
- Keynote 13.2: Mac, iOS, iCloud
- Numbers 13.2: Mac, iOS, iCloud
- Apple has released macOS Ventura 13.6 and Monterey 12.7 updates – The Eclectic Light Company
- macOS Ventura 13.6 Update (22G120) Important Security Fix – Mr Macintosh
Security and Privacy
- macOS Security Compliance Project (updated, including first Guidance for Sonoma and iOS/iPadOS 17)
Support and HowTos
- The Evolution of Managed Apple IDs – Kandji Blog
- How to Restore the Slack Workspace Sidebar – Adam Engst, TidBITS
- New Jamf Training: Discover the Jamf 240 Course – John Greenash, Jamf Blog
Scripting and Automation
Updates and Releases
- Jamf Pro 11 Beta
- super v4.0.0-beta1
- Mosyle Unveils First AI-Powered Zero Trust Security for macOS – Business Wire
- Henry & Eric on GitOps – Mac Admins Podcast
- Interview With Lucas Acosta Founder & CEO of Foojee — Command-Control-Power
- A Passwordless Check-in – Apple @ Work Podcast, 9to5Mac
- Flashcast 12: Wonderlust – Mac Admins Podcast
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!