Not so busy this week. I have the impression we are entering the calm before the WWDC storm.
I had already mentioned the 20-year anniversary of the iMac last week. However, I have to add this post by Horace Dediu of Asymco where he posted the best infographics on the topic.
I have added two more conferences to the list. X world in Sydney and MacTech in Los Angeles. I put up this list because there were quite a few announcements and schedules published in the last two weeks. I do not plan to make this a permanent section as the MacAdmins Podcast team already has a great list of events nearly every week.
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
#! On Scripting OS X
- PLIST Editor
- Dutch MacAdmins Meeting: 8 June
rooton macOS, Part 4 —The Authorization Database (this concludes my series on the root account on macOS)
- MacDevOps YVR – June 7–8
- X World, Sydney – June 27–29
- MacAdmins Conference at Penn State – July 10–13
- MacSysAdmin, Göteborg – October 2–5
- MacTech Conference, Los Angeles – Nov 7–9
📰News and Opinion
- My request for all the data Apple had on me was eye-opening – Jefferson Graham, USA Today
- How Long Do Hard Drives Last: 2018 Hard Drives Stats – Andy Klein, Backblaze
- Just in Time – Horace Dediu Asymco
- Last Week on My Mac: Is the macOS command line doomed? – Howard Oakley
- Contacts and People — Ryan Gray
- iOS 11’s Streamlined, Yet Extensible File Management – Federico Vitcci, MacStories (iOS centrix, but this is one set of features I would like to see ported ‘back to the Mac’)
🐦MacAdmins on Twitter
- Tim Perfitt: “Getting ready to release Winclone 7 in the next few weeks and am really stoked about this release. Here is why. #winclone7” (Thread)
- Clayton Burlison: “Times when it is acceptable to message me with “I have a problem and need your help” on three different platforms within a time span of 20 minutes? Never is the correct answer.” (Thread)
- Julia Evans: “find” (click to see image, also check out her twitter for more great info graphics: kill, tar, sort & uniq, xargs, grep)
🐞Bugs and Security
- What do Security Updates actually fix? – Howard Oakley
- iOS 11.4 Disables Lightning Connector After 7 Days, Limiting Law Enforcement Access – Juli Clover, Mac Rumors
🔨Support and HowTos
- The Joy of ssh: remote control and quick copying – Howard Oakley
- Detecting if a logged-in user on a FileVault-encrypted Mac has a Secure Token associated with their account – Rich Trouton
- Moving Beyond Scheduled Jobs to Event-Driven Workflows – Jeremy Baker
- How to enable logging in Outlook for Mac – Microsoft Support
🤖Scripting and Automation
♻️Updates and Releases
- Discovery 1.0 for Mac (Bonjour Browser 2.0) (iOS version)
- PLIST Editor 1.11 (Read my review.)
- Munki 3.3 Release Candidate 2
- Jamf Pro 10.4.1
There are no ads on my webpage or this newsletter. If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or both) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!
If you have already bought and read the books, please leave a review on the iBooks Store. Reviews are important to help new potential readers make the purchase decision. Thank you (again)!