Another week, … yes, really… another update. iOS 13.2.2 dropped last night. At this rate, I am surprised there is no Catalina 10.15.1 Supplemental update yet. Maybe next week. We did also get new betas for all the next updates.
In other news, Adobe is finally shipping Photoshop for iPad, and announced Lightroom and Illustrator for the future. I will leave the discussion if this is really a “full” Photoshop or not to others. But I will point out, that this is yet another “Pro” application that is now available on iPad. There are still plenty of reasons or excuses to have a Mac over an iPad, but they are dwindling.
Progress update: I got a lot of work done on my new book “Moving to zsh.” I had set the delivery date to Dec 31, because the Books Store interface required me to enter a date, but I am quite confident now that I will beat that.
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
#! On Scripting OS X
📰News and Opinion
- Adobe Releases Photoshop for iPad and Aero, an iOS AR Creation Tool, Plus Offers a Peek at 2020’s Illustrator for iPad – John Voorhees, MacStories (App Store link)
- Microsoft’s new Office app for iOS and Android combines Word, Excel, and PowerPoint – Tom Warren, The Verge
- Rene Ritchie: “I’d love both word count and a plain text option in Notes .app.… ”
- Bryson Tyrrell: “I think I’ve been vastly under-calculating the amount of traffic that Community Patch serves.” (Thread)
- Arnold: “Xcode, all you ever tell me is WARNINGS and ERRORS, it’s always problems and bad things with you, that’s so toxic would it kill you to say nice things about my code every once in a while?…” (Great Mockups)
🐞Bugs and Security
- GateKeeper – Bypass or not bypass? – Csaba Fitzl, theevilbit
- Apple Mail Stores Encrypted Emails in Plain Text Database, fix included! – Bob Gendler
- How AdLoad macOS Malware Continues to Adapt & Evade – Phil Stokes, SentinelOne
🔨Support and HowTos
- Use Sidecar With Unsupported Macs – Charles Edge
- Upgrade macOS for Office 365 for Mac or Office 2019 for Mac new updates – Office Support (The November 2019 Office 365 update requires 10.13.6 and higher, via Jason Broccardo)
- macOS 10.15 Catalina and ESXI – Frederick Abeloos
- Jamf Connect Login and Hybrid Azure AD / ADFS – Frederick Abeloos
- Apple moving older macOS installers from the Mac App Store – Rich Trouton
- RunningBoard: a new subsystem in Catalina to detect errors – Howard Oakley
🤖Scripting and Automation
- Revisiting: A macOS upgrade method using Jamf Pro Self Service – Babo D’s Corner
- Query A Jamf Server From Within Slack – Charles Edge
- AutoPkg recipes for macOS Sierra, OS X El Capitan and OS X Yosemite OS installers now available – Rich Trouton
- Apple Push Notification Service Update – Apple Developer
- What’s New in macOS Catalina 10.15.2 Beta 1 (19C32e) – Mr. Macintosh
- About iOS 13.2.2
♻️Updates and Releases
- OmniDiskSweeper 1.12 (via Wil Shipley)
- Fleetsmith October Product Update: macOS Catalina launches!
- Munki 3.7 Beta 2
- AutoPkg 1.3.1
- AutoPkg 2.0 Beta 1
- Malwarebytes 4.0 for Mac
There are no ads on my webpage or this newsletter. If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
- Weekly Email Newsletter (TinyLetter)
- Apple News
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!