The world is holding their breath (some quite literally) as COVID–19 spreads. Conferences, companies, schools, and other organisations are reacting and implementing quarantine or other emergency plans. For many IT organisations this will mean a thorough stress test of their remote infrastructure. Some will have to implement entirely new solutions to deal with this situation.
Whatever situation you are in, I wish you health, strength, and the necessary nerves, patience, and luck to get through this!
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
On Scripting OS X
News and Opinion
- is it canceled yet?
- Last Week on My Mac: Virus pandemics – Howard Oakley
- MacSurfer shuts down – Shawn King, The Loop
- What happens if (and when) Apple cancels WWDC 2020? – Jason Snell, Macworld (via John Gruber)
MacAdmins on Twitter
- tlark: “Wrote a quick and dirty python tool for jamf to rip Crowdstrike off macOS devices due to how their tamper protection can cause edge cases where their install tokens don’t work.”
- Erik Gomez: “I really want to know where you are now @lauraroesler because we finally caught up! This includes minor versions as well, not just major.” (follow link for diagram)
- Laura Rösler: “We have around 93% of our fleet on #Catalina with the majority on 10.15.3. Luckily, we got rid of our last two 10.12 devices in the last weeks.” (Love MacAdmins bragging about their adoption rates. Well done all!)
Bugs and Security
- Install Latest Chrome Update to Patch 0-Day Bug Under Active Attacks – Ravie Lakshmanan, The Hacker News
- macOS Security Framework and previous CVEs – Yuebin Sun
- State-created Mac malware hijacked by ex-NSA hacker – Ben Lovejoy, 9to5Mac
- Update: Apache Tomcat Vulnerability – Garrett Denny, Jamf Nation
- Apple’s (Not Quite) Secure Notes – Sarah Edwards, BlackBag
- Let’s Encrypt Pushes Back Deadline to Revoke Some TLS Certificates – Elizabeth Montalbano, Threatpost
Support and HowTos
- Export Airtable Grids to CSV – Charles Edge
- Examiner-coder-types: Learnin’git can make you a better developer – forensic mike
- Name Goes Here, code bass=”clash” – AFP548
- Learn (almost) everything about an app with lsappinfo – Howard Oakley
- Apple making changes to maximum lifetime limits for SSL certificates as of September 2020 – Rich Trouton
Scripting and Automation
Updates and Releases
- Tania Dastres from Seek – Mac Admins Podcast
- How Many Billable Hours? — Command-Control-Power
- Lock and Code S1Ep1: On RSA, the human element, and the week in security – Malwarebytes Labs
Just for Fun
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
- Weekly Email Newsletter (TinyLetter)
- Apple News
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!