Some great posts from fellow MacAdmins this week. New betas for iOS 14 and iOS 13.7(!) dropped, but none for macOS so far.
Remember that you can still register for Virtual JNUC 2020 for free. you won’t just get to see my great talk, but there are many other amazing talks from amazing MacAdmins.
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
News and Opinion
- The Future of Ops Jobs – Charity Majors, A Cloud Guru (via Mat X)
- Last Week on My Mac: Where privacy protection fails – Howard Oakley
- Will Apple End-of-Life (EOL) Fleetsmith? – Cassa Niedringhaus, Jumpcloud Blog
- Making friends with your security team – Graham Gilbert
macOS 11 Big Sur and iOS 14
MacAdmins on Twitter
- William Smith: “Outlook for Mac 16.38 can let users try New Outlook. MacAdmins can manage this preference: Domain: com.microsoft.Outlook Key: EnableNewOutlook Values (integer): 0 = Switch hidden (default) 1 = Switch displayed, off 2 = Switch displayed, on 3 = Enabled, switch hidden”
- mikeymikey: “If you’re not a full Screen aficionado – you may have seen that hovering over the zoom control gives you options you don’t care for – but did you know those options change to non-full screen windowed choices if you hold down Option?”
- tlark: “The thing that kills me the most about TCC/PPPC is there is no real clear documentation on how to properly implement it. You stream logs, run things and play a game of whack-a-mole. I am all about increased security posture, but come on Apple, help us configure it.”
Bugs and Security
Support and HowTos
- Forced to use Zsh by macOS? Let’s fix our “history” command first – Rand Grey
- From Camera to the Clouds: the very real story of Hedge and Postlab – DAM SAN
- Cheatsheet for moving from Master to Main – Shawn Swyx Wang, DEV
- USB 3, USB 4, Thunderbolt, & USB-C — everything you need to know – Malcolm Owen, Appleinsider
- Building and notarizing command tools as Universal binaries – Howard Oakley
- Update on ESXi on Apple Mac Mini 2018 & Mac Pro 2019 – William Lam, Virtually Ghetto
- Migrating macOS Devices from one Jamf Pro instance to another using ReEnroller – Part 1: Setup – Darren Wallace
- How notarization works – Howard Oakley
Scripting and Automation
- Running a Command as another User – Scripting OS X
- Running daily, weekly, and monthly scripts in macOS using periodic – Alan Siu
Updates and Releases
- AutoPkg 2.2
- Apparency: new app from Mothers Ruin that inspects apps. Instant add to my toolbox.
- The Thermal Envelope and Device Enrollment – Mac Admins Podcast
- Two Beacons In A Box — Command-Control-Power
- What’s new with device management in iOS 14 and macOS Big Sur? – Apple @ Work, 9to5Mac
- Monitoring the safety of parental monitoring apps with Emory Roane – Lock and Code, Malwarebytes Labs
Just for Fun
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
- Weekly Email Newsletter (TinyLetter)
- Apple News
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!