How can it be September already!? Where did the summer go?
Apple’s beta phase is heating up with a new beta release for iOS and macOS. We also got iOS and iPadOS 13.7.
Since Fall is here, so are some more virtual conferences. I will have sessions prepared for Virtual JNUC and MacSysAdmin Online.
Virtual JNUC 2020 is happening September 29 through October 1. You can still register for free.
The MacSysAdmin Online will be later in October. Participation will be free, but you can support the team by buying the MacSysAdmin Online T-Shirt, which will also enroll you in an exclusive giveaway raffle.
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
macOS 11 Big Sur and iOS 14
- What’s New in macOS Big Sur 11 Beta 6 (20A5364e) – Mr. Macintosh
- Apple reportedly delaying iOS 14 advertising privacy feature bashed by Facebook – Michael Potuck, 9to5Mac
- Online Privacy Should Be Modeled on Real-World Privacy – John Gruber, Daring Fireball
- MacOS Big Sur 11: Index of Need to Know Changes & Links – Mr. Macintosh
- Guide for Apple IT: Auto Advance for Mac – Kandji Blog
macOS Catalina 10.15 and iOS 13 Updates
Bugs and Security
- Privileged Operations on macOS – Michael Tsai
- Apple’s notarization process fails to protect – Thomas Reed, Malwarebytes Labs
- Apple Approved Malware – Patrick Wardle, Objective-See
- Achieving the CIS Apple macOS 10.15 Benchmark – Howard Oakley
- Zero Trust Is So Last Year…or Is It? – Amanda Rogerson, Duo Security
Support and HowTos
- Find the latest Jamf product documentation, with this one simple trick – Ben Toms
- How can you rebuild or repair an APFS Volume Group? – Howard Oakley
- Uninstalling macOS system extensions – Rich Trouton
- Migrating macOS Devices from one Jamf Pro instance to another using ReEnroller – Part 2: Process and Troubleshooting – Darren Wallace
Scripting and Automation
- Full Report on FileVault Status – Frederick Abeloos
- Scripting SSH off/on without needing a PPPC/TCC profile – Alan Siu
- Use Fleetsmith to encrypt Mac computers with FileVault (first Fleetsmith post on Apple Support)
- Details for app privacy questions now available – Apple Developer News
- Get ready for subscription offer codes – Apple Developer News (I hope this means that we are closer to managing subscriptions in Apple Business/School Manager as well.)
- Using command-line tools for managing Bootstrap Token, FileVault, and SecureToken (via Rich Trouton and Graham Gilbert)
- Macs in Education: A Headache of Everest Proportions – Mac Admins Podcast
- The Cell Reception In Prison Is Not That Good — Command-Control-Power
- How has the iPad and iPhone impacted digital signatures? – Apple @ Work Podcast, 9to5Mac
- Uncovering security hubris with Adam Kujawa – Lock and Code, Malwarebytes Labs
Just for Fun
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
- Weekly Email Newsletter (TinyLetter)
- Apple News
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!