This week Apple finally sent out the invitations for an event next week. The “Spring Loaded” event will take place next week, April 20, at 10am PDT.
Release of iOS 14.5, macOS 11.3, and siblings are likely on or around that day then. We did get an eighth beta this week. Next week should be interesting.
To support this weekly news summary, please consider:
macOS Terminal and Shell:
You have always wanted to ‘learn Terminal,‘ right? This book teaches how (and why) to use the command line on macOS. Get it on Apple Books!
(If you have already bought the book, please leave a review on the Apple Books Store. Thank you!)
In other news, Parallels and Docker now have officially released Apple silicon native solutions. Ironically, Parallels cannot (yet?) host macOS Big Sur guest systems, only Windows 10 for ARM (preview) and ARM Linux systems.
The Docker does not come as a Universal download, but as two seperate downloads, which seems a common thing in this transition. Why is it that so many apps are separate downloads in this transition?
📰News and Opinion
- Apple and partners launch first-ever $200 million Restore Fund – Apple
- Embrace the Grind – Jacob Kaplan-Moss
- Apple Made Sudden Security Changes to its Chips in Fall 2020 –Hartley Charlton, MacRumors
- Are external boot disks a thing of the past? – Howard Oakley
🔐Security and Privacy
🔨Support and HowTos
- Deploying Microsoft 365 Apps for Mac with Microsoft Endpoint Manager – A Deep Dive – Microsoft Tech Community (article has some interesting snippets even when you are not using Microsoft Endpoint Manager, the MDM formerly known as Intune)
- 2021: Thunderbolt Shared Storage Report – DAM SAN
- Mac@IBM releases tools for the Mac community – Jamf Blog
- macOS Big Sur Full Installer Database – Mr. Macintosh
- Communication flows for Jamf Pro with Direct SCEP (NDES) and Jamf Pro as SCEP Proxy – Frederick Abeloos
🤖Scripting and Automation
- MicrosoftOpenJDK11 recipes
- lucasjhall/inspec-macos_security (Python generator to create InSpec controls from the NIST focused macOS Security project)
♻️Updates and Releases
- Parallels Desktop 16.5 for Mac Supports Both M1 and Intel Chips
- armourpeak/ArmourDeploy (Erase all Contents and Settings app)
- Docker for Mac 3.3.1 (Apple Silicon version available)
- Microsoft Remote Desktop 10.6.1 (Universal)
- Marriott Library student checkout devices – Marriott Library
- Using MDS 4 with Apple Silicon – Twocanoes Software
- MacAdmin Monthly 2021-04-13 – Arek Dreyer
- Round It Up – Mac Admins Podcast
- The Mystery System — Command-Control-Power
- Beating security fatigue with Troy Hunt, Chloé Messdaghi, and Tanya Janca – Lock and Code, Malwarebytes Labs
- Mac backup technology with pCloud – Apple @ Work Podcast, 9to5Mac
- Snipe-IT as an Open Source Business (Part 2) – MacDevOpsYVR
🎈Just for Fun
- Every Default macOS Wallpaper – in Glorious 6K Resolution – 512 Pixels (Updated for 6K pictures)
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!