While attending WWDC and MacDevOps YVR last week – or at least attempting to – I realized that you can get real jet lag from virtual conferences.
Many people are catching up to the news from WWDC last week with many posts reacting to and/or summarizing the news. We also a patch for iOS 12 and and new macOS 11.5/iOS 14.7 betas.
Free Remote Scripting with Mosyle Business FREE
From running scripts remotely to full Mobile Device Management (MDM) for macOS, iOS and tvOS, Mosyle Business FREE provides Apple enterprise customers with the complete MDM feature set of Mosyle Business PREMIUM for up to 30 devices at no charge.
Click here to learn more!
I’d like to thank Mosyle for being the new sponsor for this news summary! I have been watching what they have been doing in the macOS MDM space and believe they are a great fit as a sponsor.
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
News and Opinion
- The Talk Show Remote From WWDC 2021 – John Gruber, Craig Federighi, and Greg Joswiak
- Last Week on My Mac: The elephant at WWDC – Howard Oakley
- Virtual is not “the same” as in-person – John Welch
macOS 12 Monterey and iOS 15
- Coming Soon: Add Mac to Apple Business Manager with Apple Configurator – Kandji Blog
- WWDC 2021 Takeaways – Jamf Blog
- The Real System Requirements for Apple’s 2021 Operating Systems – Josh Centers
- What isn’t changing in macOS Monterey – Howard Oakley
- Meet My New Friend: Declarative Device Management – Jon Towles
- WWDC21 highlights for Apple admins – Richard Mallion, dataJAR
- Is it Now Time for iOS User Enrollment? – Jon Towles
- Trick to get old tab bars in Safari 12 – zhuowei
- How iOS 15 transforms the way we think of iPhone updates – Jason Snell, Macworld
- macOS 12: Localized Keyboard Shortcuts – Michael Tsai
- Apple Bringing Erase All Content and Settings to Mac – Kandji Blog
- Add Mac to Apple Business Manager with Apple Configurator – Kandji Blog
- Apple’s New Declarative MDM: What It Is, How It Will Help Mac Admins – Kandji Blog
macOS and iOS Updates
MacAdmins on Twitter
- Morten Just: “Go To Folder – ⌘⇧G in Finder got its first update in ~15 years with Monterey. Spotlight-style UI, and you can search for any folder https://t.co/jfGe1Z1RAw” (video)
- Rich Trouton: “The more I look at macOS Monterey, the more that I’m convinced it is kindred to Mac OS X Snow Leopard – an OS focused on fixing existing issues and beneficial improvements to previously introduced features. This is a Good Thing and I look forward to the fall release.”
- Anthony Reimer: “Reminded of the model-specific features of macOS Monterey by @howardnoakley and @TidBITS, I’ve updated my Mac Hardware/Software Obsolescence Chart (yes, for the 3rd time in a week) with info on support for Universal Control and AirPlay for Mac.”
- mikeymikey: “Almost every scripted language in macOS provides a warning if you execute it interactively. Tcl, ruby, perl, you name it.”
Security and Privacy
Support and HowTos
- Microsoft to end Windows 10 support on October 14th, 2025 – Tom Warren, The Verge
- Inside the Content Caching server: performance and troubleshooting – Howard Oakley
- A primer to deploying Cisco AnyConnect for macOS with Microsoft Intune – Mac Lovin’
- Jamf Pro deprecating the ability to issue a Tomcat certificate from the Jamf Pro built-in certificate authority – Rich Trouton
- Jamf Unlock (and Azure iDP) – Frederick Abeloos
Scripting and Automation
- Quickly generate random serial numbers – Emily Kausalik
- Demystifying SwiftUI for Macadmins Part 1 – Creating a hero image with ZStack – Erik Gomez
- Scripting with SwiftUI (III) – Forms – Alexis Bridoux
- Empty Loops in Bash – Twocanoes Software
- Demystifying SwiftUI for Macadmins Part 2 – Passing State through multiple views with ObservableObject and friends – Erik Gomez
Updates and Releases
- Theile/montereyblocker: Block Monterey installer app from launching
- erikng/hello: an onboarding app built in SwiftUI
- MonitorUI Tool
- Jamf Pro 10.30
- Unlocking passwordless Mac authentication – Jamf
- BBEdit 13.5.7
- WWDC Roundup – Mac Admins Podcast
- Nana-Technology or Sitting In A Bubble Of Time — Command-Control-Power
- Jaron Bradley’s Holistic Malware Detective Agency – Jamf After Dark
Just for Fun
- Jordan Singer: “original Apple logo in SwiftUI “
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!