We made it halfway through 2021 already… How did that happen?
If you were hoping things would calm down for the summer, we got new macOS 11.5/iOS 14.7 betas and macOS 12 Monterey beta2! Apple has also released iOS 15 and macOS 12 beta2 as in the public beta program. You are testing and providing feedback to Apple and the other software vendors, right?
The Fusion of Apple MDM, Identity, Patching & Security.
Mosyle Fuse is the first and only product to bring a perfect blend of an Enterprise-grade MDM, an innovative solution for macOS Identity Management, automated application installation and patching, and purpose-built multi-layer endpoint security, all specially designed for Apple devices used at work at a price point that’s almost unexplainable.
Click here to learn more!
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
📰News and Opinion
🐟macOS 12 Monterey and iOS 15
- Getting to know declarative management and what it can do – Emily Kausalik, Jamf Blog
- Apple Silicon M1 Full macOS Restore IPSW Firmware Files Database – Mr. Macintosh (Now with M1 IPSW download links)
🐦MacAdmins on Twitter
- Anthony Reimer: “At the suggestion of @scriptingosx, I’ve added T2 Chip information to my Mac Obsolescence Chart for MacAdmins (useful for a number of reasons, including which macOS 12 Macs can be assigned to ABM/ASM/DEP using Apple Configurator for iPhone in iOS 15).”
🔐Security and Privacy
- WDC–21008 Recommended Security Measures for WD My Book Live and WD My Book Live Duo – Western Digital
- Beyond the good ol’ LaunchAgents – 18 – X11 and XQuartz – Csaba Fitzl
- LinkedIn breach reportedly exposes data of 92% of users – Ben Lovejoy, 9to5Mac
- CVE–2021–1675 (PrintNightmare) Patch Does Not Remediate Vulnerability – Erick Galinkin, Rapid7 Blog
🔨Support and HowTos
- Making a good Recovery: Installing a different macOS in Recovery – Howard Oakley
- Sharing Two Factor Authication With Your Admin Colleagues – Robin Laurén
- Apple goes retro with free downloads of OS X Lion and Mountain Lion – Roman Loyola, Macworld (I have updated the download list for older versions of macOS on my links page, Mr. Macintosh has, too, Rich Trouton has the AutoPkg recipes.)
- Volume names are still a Unicode mess – Howard Oakley
🤖Scripting and Automation
- Theile/montereyblocker: Block Monterey installer app from launching
- Scriptorium – a better way for Jamf Pro scripts – Tony Williams
- Using pre-commit to validate AutoPkg recipes – Elliot Jordan
♻️Updates and Releases
- When Jiggled by The Jiggler — Command-Control-Power
- Greg Neagle Returns! – Mac Admins Podcast
- 2021 Conference Behind The Scenes with Felipe Baez – MacDevOpsYVR
- Introducing the NoAuth podcast on information security – Jamf Blog
🎈Just for Fun
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!