News is still a bit slow this week, but we did get a new round of betas for macOS Monterey 12.1, iOS 15.2 and siblings.
[New] The Complete Guide to Understanding Apple Mac Security for Enterprise
Grab the brand new SentinelOne eBook for Mac enterprise security! Learn how attackers are adapting to macOS 12 Monterey and challenges like M1 architecture, Notarization, OCSP, XProtect, and more.
This is the fourth beta round for this update release. The release is likely before the holidays, possibly next week. If you haven’t been testing, head to AppleSeed for IT and start now!
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
News and Opinion
- Use New Amazon EC2 M1 Mac Instances to Build & Test Apps for iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, and Apple TV – AWS News Blog
- Talking to Muggles – Pam Lefkowitz, JumpCloud
macOS 12 Monterey and iOS 15
MacAdmins on Twitter
- mikeymikey: “I don’t know when the last time you tried to search for an Apple support KB article was – but have you tried … -not- using Google? Search has actually gotten pretty darned fast and extensive.” (Thread)
- Mr. Macintosh: “Apple released: iOS 15.2 Beta 4 (19C5050b), iPadOS 15.2 Beta 4 (19C5050b), watchOS 8.3 Beta 4 (19S5050c), tvOS 15.2 Beta 4 (19K5050a), HomePodOS 15.2 Beta 4 (19K5050a), Monterey 12.1 Beta 4 Full Installer & IPSW, Big Sur 11.6.2 Beta 4 Full Installer”
Security and Privacy
Support and HowTos
- Disabling Recent Tags in the Finder window sidebar – Rich Trouton
- Retroactive DEP – Adding Monterey Macs to ABM after you buy them
- No login window icon if your UID is too large – Erik Hemmeter
- Signing and Notarising a Mac binary written in Go – ServiceMax
Scripting and Automation
- Call PowerShell Commands from AppleScript/JXA – John C. Welch
- Manually Install PowerShell Modules in macOS – John C. Welch
- PD Micro Investigations – tperfitt/vdmtool
- freegeek-pdx/mkuser: Make user accounts for macOS with many advanced options.
- jamfscripts/directory_service_available.scrpt – Bob Gendler
- Run shortcuts from the Mac command line – Jason Snell
Updates and Releases
- End of the Year (and I feel fine…) – Mac Admins Podcast
- Save Changes and Shut Down — Command-Control-Power
- BK’s Bot Army aka SRE BookClub Part 1 – MacDevOpsYVR
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!