Happy day after US Thanksgiving, everyone!
Looking for some macOS Security Power Tricks?
SentinelOne’s resident macOS security experts compiled this list of 15 power tricks for macOS security tasks. Try these out when you’re writing code, hunting for threats, or recording malware behavior.
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
📰News and Opinion
🐟macOS 12 Monterey and iOS 15
- How to install macOS 12 (Monterey) as a VMware Fusion guest VM – Alan Siu
- More memory leaks in Monterey 12.0.1: how to avoid them – Howard Oakley
- Erase All Contents and Settings: prepare your Mac for disposal and more – Howard Oakley
🐦MacAdmins on Twitter
- Victor (groob): “macOS 12.1 brings EACS = all I ever wanted. Thanks to the Apple folks who listened to this request. EraseDevice now loops into AutoAdvanceSetup via MDM.”
- Jeremy Reichman: “When the installer says, “about a second remaining” for a minute or more, is it safe to assume it finished “first remaining” already and then went on to longer and more involved “second remaining,” perhaps with an option for more remainings, should additional ones seem necessary?”
🔐Security and Privacy
- Defeating Malicious Launch Persistence – 4n7m4n, Medium
- Beyond the good ol’ LaunchAgents – 22 – LoginHook and LogoutHook – Csaba Fitzl
- About Apple threat notifications and protecting against state-sponsored attacks – Apple Support (via Tim Perfitt)
🔨Support and HowTos
- How and Why to Set up Single Sign-on with SAML – Kandji Blog
- Xcode’s Environmental Pollution – Daniel Jalkut (via Ed Marczak)
- Awesome Mac admins tools 2021 refresh – Emily Kausalik
- How Can I Find Passwords That Have Been Stored in the macOS Keychain? – moof IT (Power User Shortcut)
- If your Xsan volume isn’t mounting automatically – Eric Hemmeter
🤖Scripting and Automation
- Stop putting Jamf Pro API Credentials on Clients – macnotes
- The Curious Case of Apple’s Missing App Integrations for Shortcuts – Federico Viticci, MacStories
- Parse Jamf Pro API JSON data in Shell Scripts – macnotes
- Create and resolve a Finder Alias with JXA – Pico (MacAdmins Slack)
- How to work with JSON API data in macOS shell scripts without external dependencies – Paul Galow
- eth-siplab/SVG2Keynote-gui: SVG2Keynote is a macOS tool to convert Scalable Vector Graphics to Apple Keynote documents
♻️Updates and Releases
- A Link Of Confusion In The Chain Of Trust — Command-Control-Power
- On Jamf Cloud With Todd Ebersviller – Jamf After Dark
- PC vs Mac at work, emerging trends with MDM, and more – Apple @ Work Podcast, 9to5Mac
- The Internet is not safe enough for women, and Sue Krautbauer has some ideas about why – Lock and Code S02E22, Malwarebytes Labs
- dataJAR’s New Product Focus – Mac Admins Podcast
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!