Happy New Year!
With Christmas Day, Boxing Day, and New Year’s Day on week-ends, this was not a good season for employees. However, it did turn out to be a long break for people who write their newsletters on Fridays. After what seems like forever, the Scripting OS X News Summary is back, ready for whatever 2022 might bring for Apple admins.
The Fusion of Apple MDM, Identity, Patching & Security.
Mosyle Fuse is the first and only product to bring a perfect blend of an Enterprise-grade MDM, an innovative solution for macOS Identity Management, automated application installation and patching, and purpose-built multi-layer endpoint security, all specially designed for Apple devices used at work at a price point that’s almost unexplainable.
Click here to learn more!
Apple is also back from vacation. We got the third round of beta releases for macOS 12.2 and iOS 15.3 and siblings.
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
News and Opinion
- Apple + NeXT, 25 years ago today – Steve Hayman
- Reflections: The ecosystem is moving – Signal Blog
- Discover 2022 technology trends predictions – Dean Hager, Jamf Blog
MacAdmins on Twitter
- Andrew MacKenzie: “My life be like
for thething in this that theotherthing ; do Installomator.sh $thething ; done“
- William Smith: “For Jamf customers who are still running their Jamf Pro servers on Macs, March 2022 is the tentative date to retire support for this installer. Reach out to Jamf Support for information about migrating to Jamf Cloud or another server platform.”
Security and Privacy
- Protecting your organization against Log4j, Java-based exploit – Jesus Vigo, Jamf
- Where’s the Interpreter!? – Patrick Wardle, Objective-See’s Blog
- 6 Pro Tricks for Rapid macOS Malware Triage with Radare2 – Phil Stokes, SentinelLabs
- The Mac Malware of 2021 – Patrick Wardle, Objective-See’s Blog
- New macOS vulnerability, “powerdir,” could lead to unauthorized user data access – Microsoft Security Blog
- The Benefits and Challenges of Passwordless Authentication – Kelsey Kinzer, JumpCloud
Support and HowTos
- Munki makes MDM manageable – DAM SAN
- Apple Remote Desktop constant resizing – Eric Hemmeter
- Turning Off Work with iOS 15 Focus Modes – Tom Bridge
- AutoPKG storage on external drive – Adam Anklewicz
- Preventing user and location inventory information from being changed by the jamf binary’s recon verb – Rich Trouton
- How Secure Boot works on M1 series Macs – Howard Oakley
- Explainer: Links, Aliases and Bookmarks – Howard Oakley
- Installing PHP 7 on macOS 12 Monterey – Twocanoes Software
- Jamf Connect and MS Azure Conditional Access (+Password Change URL) – Frederick Abeloos
- Visualize your keystrokes on screenshots or videos – Marco Eidinger
- Guide for Apple IT: macOS System and Kernel Extensions – Kandji Blog
- Using Postman with Jamf Pro Part 3: Computer Groups – The Geeky Gordo
- Deleting a lot of data – Eric Hemmeter
- Finding out which organization Office 365 is activated with – Alan Siu
Scripting and Automation
- masaccio/numbers-parser: Python module for parsing Apple Numbers .numbers files
- Basic Authentication deprecated for the Jamf Pro Classic API – Rich Trouton
- Updated script for obtaining, checking and renewing Bearer Tokens for the Classic and Jamf Pro APIs – Rich Trouton
- Identifying Intel Macs with Secure Enclave using Jamf Pro – Rich Trouton
- Merging Dicts of Dicts – Robin Laurén
- Detecting if Rosetta 2 is Installed on an Apple Silicon Mac – Samuel Mills
- iCloud Private Relay Overview (PDF, December 2021)
- How to reset your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when you forgot your passcode
Updates and Releases
- AutoPkg 2.4.1 Beta
- Introducing Self Service for iOS and iPadOS – Kandji Blog
- Jamf Pro 10.35
- Dropbox releases macOS version with native M1 support in beta – Filipe Espósito, 9to5Mac
- Unpacking Apple Business Essentials with Tom Bridge – Apple @ Work Podcast, 9to5Mac
- Garbage In, Garbage Out – MacDevOpsYVR
- What angered us most about cybersecurity in 2021 – Lock and Code, Malwarebytes Labs
- Cat Part Deux – Mac Admins Podcast
- Interview With Luis Giraldo – CXO at ScalePad & CEO at Ook – Command-Control-Power
Just for Fun
- 15th Anniversary iPhone Wallpaper — Basic Apple Guy
- Every Mac OS Welcome Video, Mac OS 8 – OS X 10.6 – TechieFreddie, YouTube
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!