It seems like the year has not even properly started yet, but Apple already released the macOS 12.2 and iOS 15.3 release candidate. So a likely release next week. Are you ready?
The Fusion of Apple MDM, Identity, Patching & Security.
Mosyle Fuse is the first and only product to bring a perfect blend of an Enterprise-grade MDM, an innovative solution for macOS Identity Management, automated application installation and patching, and purpose-built multi-layer endpoint security, all specially designed for Apple devices used at work at a price point that’s almost unexplainable.
Click here to learn more!
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
News and Opinion
- ‘G Suite legacy free edition users’ have to pay for Workspace – Abner Li, 9to5Google
- Rebuttal: It’s Time to Get Rid of the IT Department – Pam Lefkowitz and Tom Bridge, JumpCloud
macOS and iOS Updates
MacAdmins on Twitter
- Mr. Macintosh: “1/23/22 will mark 90 days since Monterey was released. If you have an 90 day MDM deferral profile deployed, Monterey will start showing up as an available upgrade On 1/14/22 Apple added “macOS Installer Notification” to the software update catalog.” (Thread)
Support and HowTos
- Snowflake Osquery Fleet Magic – t-lark
- Jamf Pro server installer for macOS retirement planned for March 2022 – Rich Trouton
- Guide for Apple IT: Managing FileVault – Kandji Blog
- Did someone forget their password? Getting access to a locked Mac – Howard Oakley
- Erase all Content and Settings: Control the menu item when you need it – Mat Griffin
- Becoming a Better Writer in Tech – Gergely Orosz, The Pragmatic Engineer (via John C. Welch: Thread)
- Why doesn’t Apple formally support old macOS? – Howard Oakley
- Memory Lane: Grokking memory problems in Activity Monitor – Howard Oakley
- Guide for Apple IT: Managed Apple IDs – Kandji Blog
Scripting and Automation
- zsh Shell History – CLI Notes
- zsh Tip: run-help is extremely helpful – CLI Notes
- Things AppleScript does better – John C. Welch
- Portable PowerShell In an Application Bundle – John C. Welch
- Temporary Mac Admin account Management, Jamf Connect Workflow – Sean Rabitt, Jamf Blog
Updates and Releases
- Deploy iOS 15 in your organization – Tech Talks, Apple Developer
- Prepare your Organization for macOS Monterey
- A Day In The Life Of A MacAdmin – Mac Admins Podcast
- Interview With Jason Dettbarn – Command-Control-Power
- Why we don’t patch, with Jess Dodson: Lock and Code, Malwarebytes Labs
- One service level at a time – SRE Book Club Part 2 – MacDevOpsYVR
Just for Fun
- Making Waves — Basic Apple Guy
- What goes into making an OS to be Unix compliant certified? – Terry Lambert, Quora
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!