The month of May is like “advent for Apple fans.” WWDC is looming in a few weeks. Most of the dust from previous system releases has settled. Things have been fixed, or we have gotten used to the workarounds. Anticipation and dread for the next round of releases is rising. Sometimes, Apple even opens a door or two and releases something which didn’t fit in the keynote.
The only Apple Unified Platform for Business
Mosyle is the only solution that fully integrates Enhanced MDM, Endpoint Security, Internet Privacy & Security, Single Sign-On, and Application Management on a single Apple-only platform.
Click here to learn why Mosyle is all you need to work with Apple.
MacDevOps YVR have announced their speaker line-up for their virtual conference in June, and I am very proud to be among all these amazing speakers. You can still register for the event from June 15–17. You can also order MacDevOpsYVR 2022 t-shirts and hoodies!
Also the dates and location for this year’s Objective by the Sea were announced: It will go from October 3–7, in Spain, near Barcelona.
As always, I keep a list of conferences, their dates and other important links, such as calls for presentation and session video archives from previous conferences on my conferences page.
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
News and Opinion
- Microsoft Edge Overtakes Safari as World’s Second Most Popular Desktop Browser – Tim Hardwick, MacRumors
- Toxic Superiority in IT: How it Hurts Us All – Mobile Jon
- Kaseya Owner Funds Apple Device Management Software Platform Mosyle – Joe Panettieri, ChannelE2E
- Some Reasons why Installers are a mess – John C. Welch
- tlark: “ATTN MDM vendors. Please take a long good look at Munki, it is what IT admin/eng want. We don’t want complex systems that require GUI clicking. We just reduced our level of effort by ripping out third party app deployment/patching from our MDM and deployed Munki in AWS” (Thread)
Security and Privacy
- Some Thoughts on Privacy, “Privacy”, and Mastodon – kbps (The way I use social media—I assume everything on social media is public—these privacy issues don’t concern me, but everyone should be aware of them.
- Apple, Google, and Microsoft commit to expanded support for FIDO standard – Apple
- Apple Silicon Exclusively Hit With World-First “Augury” DMP Vulnerability – Francisco Pires, Tom’s Hardware
Support and HowTos
- Honestpuck/NIST-macos-security-HOWTO: HowTo incorporate the NIST ‘macOS Security Compliance Project’ Into Jamf Pro
- How to Build Custom Osquery Tables Using ATC
- Another ARD offline issue – Eric Hemmeter
- zsh Tip: Preview and undo command line substitutions – CLI Notes (the shortcut is ‘ctrl-underscore’ or ‘shift-ctrl-minus’, neat!)
- Unified Logging for macOS, an introduction – Skartek
- The File Table: Osquery’s Secret Weapon – Fritz Ifert-Miller, Kolide Blog
- The Great Debate: Should You Set Up Users as Admin or Standard? – Steven Vogt, Kandji Blog
- How to Calculate Patch Management Costs – Kelsey Kinzer, JumpCloud
- The Beginner’s Guide to Mobile Device Management – Ashley Gwilliam, JumpCloud
- Alphabet Soup & Language Gaffs – Pam Lefkowitz, JumpCloud
Scripting and Automation
- Downloading Crowdstrike via API for Fun and Profit – Richard Purves
- Launching Scripts #4: AppleScript from Shell Script – Scripting OS X
Updates and Releases
- What’s new in Microsoft Intune, May 2, 2022 – Microsoft Docs
- Release Notes for Safari Technology Preview 144 – WebKit
- Munki 5.7.0 Beta 2
- Jamf Pro 10.38
- Roundtable – Mac Admins Podcast
- Listening to the Mac Admins Podcast with automatic live captions – Emily Kausalik
- Mac Admins Podcast — New Tumblr site with an amazing retro look
- Balanced Billing & The “Partner Plan” With Richard Wingfield Of Envision Design — Command-Control-Power
- We love what we do – Chris Chapman, MacStadium – MacDevOpsYVR
- Getting to Know App Installers with Justin Clark. Patch Management Revamped – Jamf After Dark
- What are the real-world benefits of Apple Business Essentials? – Apple @ Work Podcast, 9to5Mac
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!