Last week I mentioned that Apple often releases a few things before WWDC, because they don’t fit in the keynote. I should have been careful what I wished for: the iPod touch — the last remnant of the iPod line — is being discontinued.
The only Apple Unified Platform for Business
Mosyle is the only solution that fully integrates Enhanced MDM, Endpoint Security, Internet Privacy & Security, Single Sign-On, and Application Management on a single Apple-only platform.
Click here to learn why Mosyle is all you need to work with Apple.
The functionality of the iPod has been assimilated by the iPhone, Apple Watch, HomePod, and AirPods, all of which can now play your Music nearly anywhere, anytime. The iPod may be gone, but the Music lives on.
The news summary will be taking a short vacation break. It will resume in three weeks, on “WWDC Eve”, June 3, with a summary of everything else that happens between now and then. Let’s hope Apple is done with canceling products.
Never miss a post and get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly News Summary here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
News and Opinion
- Jack Rhysider: “If you’re in IT, I highly encourage you to write a blog. Here are 17 reasons why you should be blogging.” (Thread, if you start a Mac IT blog, be sure to let me know!)
- William Smith: “For Jamf admins, ensure your configuration profiles with the Exchange (macOS) and Exchange ActiveSync (iOS) payloads are set to ‘Use OAuth for authentication’ before the October 1st deadline.”
Security and Privacy
- Unsigned macOS oRAT Malware Gambles For The Win – Dinesh Devadoss, Phil Stokes, SentinelOne
- Is Windows Defender Enough to Pass SOC 2? – Jason Meller, Kolide Blog
- Bad Apple #5: iCloud Drive Folder Sharing Risks Data Loss – Adam Engst, TidBITS
- What is Jamf Threat Labs? – Jesus Vigo, Jamf Blog
Support and HowTos
- Upgrade to macOS Monterey using Self Service with Jamf Pro – HCS Technology Group
- How to Troubleshoot Apple Business Manager – Alexandre Morin, Kandji Blog
- The macOS Security Compliance Project – Richard Mallion, dataJAR
- How to Initiate a sysdiagnose on your Apple Devices – HCS Technology Group
- How to transfer files between Macs – Howard Oakley
- IT Project Prioritization: What to Do First When You’re On a Budget – Ashley Gwilliam, JumpCloud
Scripting and Automation
- JXA’s parenthesis paradox – Dr. Drang
- Privileges Demoter v2.0 – Mostly Mac
- swift quiver
- Comparing a JamfUploader recipe to a standard JSSImporter recipe – Graham R Pugh
- TN3125: Inside Code Signing: Provisioning Profiles
- TN3126: Inside Code Signing: Hashes
- TN3127: Inside Code Signing: Requirements
- Intro to Google Workspace with Apple School Manager
Updates and Releases
- New Recovery Password Library Item Thwarts Unauthorized Startups – Kandji Blog
- cirruslabs/tart: macOS VMs on Apple Silicon to use in CI and other automations
- Jamf Pro 10.38.1
- Munki 5.7.0 Beta 3
- Elegy for a Server Operating System – Mac Admins Podcast
- MDOYVR 2022 Speaker series: Alex Narvey – MacDevOpsYVR
- Recovering from romance scams with Cindy Liebes – Lock and Code, Malwarebytes Labs
- Save Changes and Shut Down — Command-Control-Power
- Fraser Speirs reflects on his career with Apple in education – Apple @ Work Podcast, 9to5Mac
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!