We have not reached the summer doldrums yet, as we got new betas (number five) for the macOS 12.5 and iOS 15.6 updates. The macOS update seems to break a lot of AppleScript functionality, so let’s hope this is not the last beta. We also got the third beta for macOS Ventura and iOS 16, with a surprise announcement from Apple that they are adding a new ‘Lockdown’ heightened security mode for sensitive users, to both iOS and macOS.
New macOS ‘covid’ Malware Masquerades as Apple, Wears Face of APT
A fake VPN delivers a Sliver implant with a further malicious payload. APT or Red Team? The IoCs can look the same to defenders.
Yesterday, we had the first post-pandemic Dutch MacAdmins meeting hosted by Adyen in Amsterdam. It was great to see so many people face-to-face again, but I also like that we had nearly as many attendees online than in person. Thanks to everyone who helped organize this and who attended.
Talking about conferences, you can buy MacSysAdmin Online 2022 T-shirts. Remember that viewing the session videos will be free, but with the T-shirt purchase you help support the people who make all of this possible. Last year, there were also Scripting OS X stickers that came with the shirt, and we may have some plans for this year…
If you still have room in your closet for another piece of clothing, you can buy more apparel (or a tote bag or a mug) and support the MacAdmins Foundation. Got to have something to wear for the next MacAdmins meeting.
If you think your company or product is a good fit to sponsor this newsletter, please contact me!
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
News and Opinion
- Some Macs are getting fewer updates than they used to. Here’s why it’s a problem – Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica
- Apple expands commitment to protect users from mercenary spyware – Apple
macOS Ventura and iOS 16
- Should you risk or resist Ventura Public Beta? – Howard Oakley
- macOS Ventura Beta 3 (22A5295h) is Live! What’s New? – Mr. Macintosh
macOS and iOS Updates
Security and Privacy
Support and HowTos
- Disable Spotlight on an Xsan volume – Eric Hemmeter
- Data-Enabled: Post Nudge Campaign Results – Thomas Larkin
- Virtualisation on Apple silicon Macs: 1 How well does it work? – Howard Oakley
- Behind the Curtain: Managing Software Updates with MDM – Mike Boylan, Kandji Blog
- Removing unwanted Time Machine backups from APFS-formatted Time Machine backup drives on macOS Monterey – Rich Trouton
- Apple Design Resources – Charles Edge
Scripting and Automation
Updates and Releases
- swiftDialog 1.11.1
- Jamf Introduces Jamf Safe Internet to Power Online Safety Anywhere Students Learn – Jamf
- Support 2.4
- Sharvil and Zach talk about MDOYVR 2022 – MacDevOpsYVR
- Non-Violent Coping Mechanisms – Mac Admins Podcast
- Best Of CCP -008: Live from ACN Advanced Camp in Austin, TX -2013 – Command-Control-Power
- What are the benefits of Apple Certifications? – Apple @ Work, 9to5Mac
- When good-faith hacking gets people arrested, with Harley Geiger – Lock and Code, Malwarebytes Labs
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!