MacAdmin conference season is in full swing with MacSysAdmin Online and Objective-by-the-Sea happening this week.
(Sponsor: vast limits)
uberAgent: web app monitoring
uberAgent is an innovative user experience monitoring product for macOS and Windows. uberAgent’s highlights include detailed information about application performance, network reliability drill-downs, application usage metering, browser performance, and web app metrics. Try for yourself and get your free 100 user community license at uberagent.com.
That also means we are getting announcements of the dates of conferences for next year. PSU MacAdmins conference has announced the date for their first post-pandemic in-person conference: July 18–21, 2023. JNUC is planned for Austin, TX on September 19–21, 2023 and MacSysAdmin will be back in Gothenburg, Sweden on October 3–6. I have updated my conferences page with the new dates.
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
News and Opinion
macOS Ventura and iOS 16
- Guide for Apple IT: What to Know about Mercenary Spyware, Apple’s New Lockdown Mode, and Device Management – Kandji
- Are You Ventura-Ready? – Tom Bridge, JumpCloud
- How to keep Monterey when upgrading to Ventura – Howard Oakley
- John C. Welch: “30 years in IT have taught me this: Being cheap and petty over keyboards and mice is the stupidest thing to do. Someone wants a gaming mouse? Let them have it. The happiness that brings will far outweigh the cost “savings” in making them use the “standard” mouse.” (Thread)
Security and Privacy
- BSI bestätigt Sicherheitseigenschaften von iPhone und iPad – BSI Press release (German)
- Jamf Threat Labs identifies macOS Archive Utility vulnerability allowing for Gatekeeper bypass – Jamf Blog
Support and HowTos
- Certificates, SCEP, and 802.1x: What are they? What do they do? Let’s find out! (Part One) – jflanakin, Jamf Tech Thoughts
- Do you need to use the softwareupdate command to discover available updates? – Graham R Pugh
- Resumes and Other Things We Hate To Write – Pam Lefkowitz, JumpCloud
- MunkiReport in Azure – Mike Solin
- How to sign scripts and other custom code – Matthew Warren, MacBlog
- Managed Apple IDs and Identity Provider (IdP) Federation – Ecco_Luke, Jamf Tech Thoughts
Scripting and Automation
- timsutton/speedwagon: Download iOS/tvOS/watchOS simulators without Xcode
- Determining iCloud Drive and Desktop and Documents Sync Status in macOS – brunerd
- Get-Macinfo Update – John C. Welch
- MobileConfig Shortcuts – Drew Diver
- Run A Script (eg build/test automation) From Xcode – Charles Edge
- Creating a command line tool using the Swift Package Manager – SwiftLee
- Application Scripting is Weird – John C Welch
- Your Internal Beta Test Program: Opt-in / Opt-out via Self Service (sans Jamf Pro API) – Dan K. Snelson
Updates and Releases
- Kandji Announces New Device Harmony Platform, Tears Down the Wall Between IT and InfoSec to Keep Enterprise Apple Users Secure and Productive – Kandji
- Mosyle Embark Creates Seamless Day One Experiences for Employees Using Mac Devices at Work – Business Wire
- Wireshark 4.0.0
- Jamf Connect 2.16.0
- What’s New At Kandji? – Mac Admins Podcast
- Release The Hounds – Command-Control-Power
- October is coming with Tom Bridge from JumpCloud – Apple @ Work Podcast, 9to5Mac
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!