We got another round of betas for macOS Ventura 13.1 and iOS/iPadOS 16.2. If the schedule from previous years can be taken as guidance, next week is a good guess for the release date. Maybe a week more, since this week’s release was not labeled as release candidate.
Your favorite tool for configuring & provisioning fleets of Apple mobile devices
Automatically back up devices, restore, wipe, set up, supervise, and enroll with your MDM provider—locally and easily with iMazing Configurator.
And don’t miss iMazing Profile Editor, our free and well-loved utility for composing comprehensive configuration profiles for iPhones, iPads, and Macs.
Jamf has released the session recordings from the Jamf Nation User Conference earlier this year on YouTube, accessible to all! There are 151 videos, many of which should be interesting, even when you don’t use Jamf as your management server. I have updated the resources page for my session, as well as my conferences overview page.
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
News and Opinion
- Jamf announces new AWS Verified Access feature for increased IT security – Bradley Chambers, 9to5Mac
macOS Ventura and iOS 16
macOS and iOS Updates
- SentinelOne on Twitter: “10 wrong assumptions about #macOS #security A thread”
- Basic Apple Guy on Twitter: “iCloud Storage Over the Years” (Image)
- MartinLang on Twitter: “The SAPTechEd 2022 keynotes had lots of ‘Mobile Moments’ in them. Native Mobile apps are definitely a thing across SAP’s entire Solution and Tech portfolio. I wanted to share some of these mobile moments in this thread.”
- Mr. Macintosh on Twitter: “Apple uses the terms ‘Shipping OS’ or ‘version of macOS that came with your Mac’ Purchased: M1 16″ MBP on 10/18/21 = Monterey 12.0.1 M1 16″ MBP on 11/30/22 = Ventura 13.0 The 16″ was shipped with Ventura, but it can still be downgraded to 12.0.1 My Apple Silicon macOS chart” (click for chart and short thread)
Security and Privacy
Support and HowTos
- Booting two Apple silicon Macs from one external disk – Howard Oakley
- Create Disk Images of Floppy, CD, DVD, or Disk Storage To Recover Data On A Mac – Charles Edge
- Use networkQuality for Simple Bandwidth Tests on Mac – Charles Edge
- Jamf Pro Self Service racing stripes when using Installomator with swiftDialog – Dan K. Snelson
- Losing Jamf Remote: Filling the Void with Termius & Screens – Gray
- An A to Z of keys and keyboards: Startup and login – Howard Oakley
- Managing Non-App Packages in Mosyle MDM – Trevor Sysock (New Blog!)
- The Best Menu in macOS – Trevor Sysock
- Working with Internal Services and Jamf Safe Internet – Anthony Darlow, Jamf Tech Thoughts
- Disk performance of lightweight macOS VMs on Apple silicon – Howard Oakley
Scripting and Automation
- Setup Your Mac via swiftDialog (1.5.0) – Dan K. Snelson
- Converting local accounts to mobile accounts – Eric Hemmeter
- Only rm something that exists – Trevor Sysock
Updates and Releases
- Lightening! Not the Connector — Command-Control-Power
- Michael Epping from Microsoft on the Single Sign On Extension – Mac Admins Podcast
- Sharpen seeks to offer a free and fast way to learn – Apple @ Work Podcast, 9to5Mac
Just for Fun
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!