How is it February already? Didn’t we just do New Year’s and that January thing?
macOS Payloads: 7 Prevalent and Emerging Obfuscation Techniquese
Learn about the techniques behind the latest macOS threats and stay ahead of the game in protecting your enterprise. From hidden scripts and shell script compilers to obfuscated Python, Cobalt Strike and more.
A week has passed since the release of macOS 13.2 and iOS 16.3 and no beta for 13.3 and 16.4 yet. I don’t think we should read too much into this, but it is unusual.
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
- Announcing the Inaugural Class of the Mac Admins Foundation Scholarship Program – Jennifer Unger, Mac Admins Foundation
Congratulations to all who got (or will get) the scholarship certifications and many thanks to the Mac Admins Foundation for making this possible!
The Penn State MacAdmins conference announced the date this week. Also, JNUC opened their registration. If you are planning to present at conferences, now is the time to start making plans. You can find a list of the conferences so far along with links to their information, registration, and ‘call for sessions’ pages on my conference page.
After three years of mostly virtual presentations, fun as they were, I have to remember that participating on-site in four or more conferences is probably not a wise choice…
News and Opinion
- Mastodon: A New Hope for Social Networking – Glenn FLeischmann, TidBITS
- Backblaze Drive Stats for 2022 – Andy Klein, Backblaze
- Kris Nóva: “So we (GitHub) just rolled out support for Mastodon profiles.”
Security and Privacy
Support and HowTos
- macOS binaries (Tool to look up and explain binaries on macOS.)
- Identity Management Matters for your Series A,B, & C Company – Jason Miller
- Why I Present – Bill Smith, Jamf Tech Thoughts
- Log literacy: an essential skill for advanced users – Howard Oakley
- Log literacy: Reducing log entries shown – Howard Oakley
- Log Literacy: Navigation – Howard Oakley
- Suppressing Keyboard Setup Assistant – Fraser Hess
- A Guide to Disabling & Preventing iCloud Activation Lock – Brian van Peski
- Configuring Nudge for macOS delta upgrades – Kevin M. Cox
- How to Configure Security Keys for Apple ID – HCS Technology Group
- macOS Ventura: A Guide to Your System Settings – HCS Technology Group
- The Mac Hardware/Software Obsolescence Chart – Anthony Reimer (updated with latest Macs)
- Using the distribution-style flag in munkipkg for PreStage Enrollment in Jamf – Alan Siu’s Blog
Scripting and Automation
- RandomApplications/JSON-Shell-Tools-for-macOS: Easy to use shell/CLI tools for retrieving values from JSON on macOS
- Introducing Baseline Beta – Trevor Sysock
- Introduction to JPS API Wrapper: All-in-one package for using the Jamf Pro Server API – bweber26, Jamf Tech Thoughts
Updates and Releases
- erase-install Release 28.1 ·
- Baseline 0.5.0
- Munki 6.2 Beta 1
- swiftDialog 2.1
- Setup Your Mac (1.7.0) via swiftDialog – Dan K. Snelson
- You Lost Me With “Go To Finder – Command-Control-Power
- A private moment, caught by a Roomba, ended up on Facebook – Malwarebytes Labs, Lock and Code
- Episode 300: Just Us – Mac Admins Podcast (Congratulations on the 300th episode!)
- Employee Resource Groups at Jamf – Jamf After Dark
Just for Fun
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!