Even though Apple still hasn’t released a beta for macOS 13.3 and iOS 16.4, there are several updates for tools from the MacAdmins community, be sure to check out that section.
The only Apple Unified Platform for Business
Mosyle is the only solution that fully integrates Enhanced MDM, Endpoint Security, Internet Privacy & Security, Single Sign-On, and Application Management on a single Apple-only platform.
Click here to learn why Mosyle is all you need to work with Apple.
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
The MacAdmins Foundation has announced that they can now provide Apple Developer ID signing identities to MacAdmin open source projects.
Open source projects for the Mac usually have the choice between not signing their software releases, or signing them with a personal or organizational Apple Developer ID, which cost a yearly subscription and, in the case of the personal ID, literally puts the name of the main lead in the signature.
The MacAdmins Foundation certificates now provide another option, that will be very attractive for some projects. Nudge is the first tool that has been released with a MacAdmins Foundation signature.
- Announcing Mac Admins Open Source (MAOS) — Tom Bridge, MacAdmins.org
- Nudge signing certificate changed – Kevin M. Cox
- Nudge and Installomator – TeamID Update and valuesfromarguments Example – Trevor Sysock
📰News and Opinion
- Apple in 2022: The Six Colors report card – Jason Snell, Six Colors
- Apple’s website has been redesigned to show off more products & services – William Gal AppleInsider
- Kristian Harstad: “You don’t need a photo background removal app if you run MacOS. Right-click a photo in Finder, click Quick Actions, choose Remove Background. Your Mac does the rest perfectly, and produces a background-removed copy of your photo with “Background Removed” suffixed to the filename.”
🔐Security and Privacy
🔨Support and HowTos
- Run x86 Docker containers with Rosetta on Mac – Level Up Coding (via Pepijn Bruienne)
- UnActivation Lock v1.5 – macOS Adventures
- Diversifying Your IT Tools: Integrating Munki – Thomas Larkin
- Removing a single asset from Content Caching – Fraser Hess
- Log literacy: all about the log – Howard Oakley
- What’s nagging you? Getting to the bottom of Managed Login Items – Graham Gilbert
- Should you reset its database or delete it? The woes of TCC – Howard Oakley
- Inspecting WebAuthn Traffic – Charles Edge
- Understanding Privacy Preference Policy Controls in macOS – Sam Wall, dataJAR
- Privacy: what TCC does and doesn’t – Howard Oakley
🤖Scripting and Automation
- matteocorti/tmstatus.sh: Simple script to summarise the Time Machine backup status
- Regex looks for all Mac models compatible with macOS Ventura – Bill Smith
- Jamf Swagger API, easy authentication – Bilal Habib
♻️Updates and Releases
- grahampugh/erase-install 29.0 beta
- Show Me Your ID 3.0
- Approved Notifications 1.0
- Approved Background Items 1.0
- Jamf Compliance Editor 1.1
- Installomator v10.3 and v11.0beta1
- MunkiAdmin 1.9.0 Beta 2
- Nudge 18.104.22.168465
- Munki 6.2 Official release
- Best Of CCP 001: WWDC Keynote Reflections: Mac Pro, etc — Command-Control-Power
- Microsoft Policies are just IT Policies – Apple @ Work Podcast, 9to5Mac
- A Team of One – Mac Admins Podcast
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!