This is the time of the year where we get regular updates for macOS, but not that many new features. It is also time where MacAdmins adopt the new versions, either by choice or because the 90 day deferral limit has expired for good a while back. This is a busy time for MacAdmins.
The only Apple Unified Platform for Business
Mosyle is the only solution that fully integrates Enhanced MDM, Endpoint Security, Internet Privacy & Security, Single Sign-On, and Application Management on a single Apple-only platform.
Click here to learn why Mosyle is all you need to work with Apple.
We also got the second beta for macOS 13.3 and iOS 16.4 and Apple is testing the new Rapid Security Response technology again. It is encouraging that they are testing this “in the field” and hopefully that will make a big difference in reliability.
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
It is here! The second edition of the wonderful and encompassing guide to everything Mac and iOS management: Apple Device Management Second Edition by Rich Trouton and Charles Edge. Many congratulations to them!
🔐Security and Privacy
- Beware of macOS cryptojacking malware – Jamf Threat Labs
- Hunting for Honkbox: Multistage macOS Cryptominer May Still Be Hiding – Phil Stokes, SentinelOne
- iPhone users targeted in phone AND data theft campaign – Jovi Umawing, Malwarebytes Labs
- How a Thief with Your iPhone Passcode Can Ruin Your Digital Life – Adam Engst, TidBITS
🔨Support and HowTos
- Start with Your Story – William Smith, Jamf Tech Thoughts
- Providing Jamf Pro computer inventory information via macOS configuration profile – Rich Trouton
- Jamf Admin won’t dance the SaMBa anymore? – Brad T. Chapman
- Hacking Falcon Sensor Grouping Tags – Dan K. Snelson
- Automatically start and turn off a Mac… with a configuration profile – Guillaume Gète
🤖Scripting and Automation
- Use the forceNoRecon option of the jamf command – Guillaume Gète
- Resolve Package Dependencies in NoMAD 2 with carthage – Charles Edge
- How to Identify macOS Update History – Brian Van Peski
♻️Updates and Releases
- erase-install 29.1
- Outset 4.0 Alpha 3 (now hosted and signed on MacAdmins.io repo)
- Munki 6.2.1
🎈Just for Fun
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!