This is the time of the year where Apple makes the announcements that didn’t fit in the WWDC Keynote anymore. This week they announced iPad versions of Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro which will be released next week, probably coinciding with the releases of iOS/iPadOS 16.5 and macOS 13.4.
The only Apple Unified Platform for Business
Mosyle is the only solution that fully integrates Enhanced MDM, Endpoint Security, Internet Privacy & Security, Single Sign-On, and Application Management on a single Apple-only platform.
Click here to learn why Mosyle is all you need to work with Apple.
Apple also released release candidates for those updates this week (two of them). This will be the last update of iOS 16/macOS 13 before we get the betas of the next major releases at WWDC in June. There usually are two more minor updates before the release of the next major versions in the Fall, but those rarely add major changes.
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
📰News and Opinion
- Apple brings Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro to iPad – Apple
- Getting That Recognition – Pam Lefkowitz, Radical Admin Blog, JumpCloud
- MacAdmins Slack: a highly opinionated guide (2023) – Armin Briegel
- Ricky Mondello: “Passkeys will be importable and exportable, cross-device, and across passkey managers. They aren’t at this time, but they will be. It’s something that’s being defined and designed.”
- Timothy Perfitt: “Adding in an interesting feature to XCreds 3. When you lock the screen, it will automatically Fast User switch to the login window, keeping the session active but requiring a cloud login. This means that the IdP (like Azure) can log the login and do conditional access on it as well.”
🔐Security and Privacy
🔨Support and HowTos
- Uninstalling Workspace ONE Intelligent Hub with Munki – Kevin M. Cox
- User notifications for Cisco Secure Client migrations – Fraser Hess
- How to Configure Local Administrator Password Solution (LAPS) in Jamf Pro – HCS Technology Group
- Mac Shell Scripts: Tips for Apple Admins – Kandji Blog
- Letting Go: How to offboard in a BYO environment – Chris Hafner, Jamf Tech Thoughts
- How to Securely Manage Local Admin Passwords with Jamf Pro and LAPS – William Smith, Jamf Tech Thoughts
🤖Scripting and Automation
- Personal Safety User Guide (updated)
♻️Updates and Releases
- red5coder/Jamf-LAPS: App to interact with the new LAPS service in Jamf Pro
- Setup Your Mac (1.10.0) (Blog Post, also 1.11.0-b3)
- Outset 4.0.21874 (full release!)
- MicroMDM 1.11
- jessepeterson/kmfddm v0.2.0 (via Jesse Peterson)
- XCreds 3.0
- MacAdmin Monthly, 2023-05-09 (via Mat X)
- April 2023: MacAdmins Meeting Archived Presentations and Slides Online – Marriott Library, Apple Infrastructure |
- All About Fonts with Glenn Kowalski – Mac Admins Podcast
- Kandji launches its new EDR product for Apple enterprises – Apple @ Work Podcast, 9to5Mac
- Can You Make The Beeping Stop? – Command-Control-Power
- The rise of “Franken-ransomware,” with Allan Liska – Lock and Code, Malwarebytes Labs
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!