We got the third set of betas for macOS Sonoma and iOS 17 this week. I hope your testing is going well. Mine actually is, so far.
The only Apple Unified Platform for Business
Mosyle is the only solution that fully integrates Enhanced MDM, Endpoint Security, Internet Privacy & Security, Single Sign-On, and Application Management on a single Apple-only platform.
Click here to learn why Mosyle is all you need to work with Apple.
Summer is in full swing and the number of posts and articles is declining as people are taking well deserved breaks. This means that this news summary will also go on summer break. It will return on September 9, with a large summary of what happened over the summer, just in time for the final stretch of beta releases and testing before the Fall releases.
That doesn’t mean you won’t hear anything from me. I am planning to use the time to write and finish a few articles that I have been tinkering with and work on some other projects that I have been mulling about. If something really interesting happens that is relevant to MacAdmins I will post about it.
I also plan to post and re-share interesting links on my Mastodon account. With all the turbulence in the social media space, that is the service I am using most right now. There is a nicely sized community of MacAdmins and related experts in the Fediverse now. I will also be (as always) active on the MacAdmins Slack.
I hope you get to enjoy a well-deserved break or at least a bit of a quieter time. See you in September!
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
Security and Privacy
- JokerSpy: Unknown Adversary Targeting Organizations with Multi-Stage macOS Malware – Phil Stokes, SentinelOne
- BlueNoroff: How DPRK’s macOS RustBucket Seeks to Evade Analysis and Detection – Phil Stokes, SentinelOne
Support and HowTos
- How macOS installers changed – Howard Oakley
- How to Identify and Eliminate Abusive Web Notifications – Adam Engst, TidBITS
- How to diagnose and control login and background items – Howard Oakley
- The journey to Munki and Intune – Tobias Almen
- What is iOS Kiosk Mode? – Andrea Pepper, SimpleMDM
- How to get the right app to open a document and fix LaunchServices problems – Howard Oakley
- Jamf Pro Framework Not Installing or Redeploying – Isaac Ordonez
- macOS Screenshots mini-game easymode – Jim Zajkowski
Scripting and Automation
- Listing and downloading available macOS installers using Apple’s softwareupdate tool – Rich Trouton
- AzureAD/Apple-SSO-Tools: Apple Enterprise SSO troubleshooting script
- Swift mountshare command line tool – Erik Hemmeter
Updates and Releases
- Operating Systems for Businesses (Part 2) – Mac Admins Podcast
- Virtualization in the age of Apple Silicon – Apple @ Work Podcast, 9to5Mac
- WWDC 2023 Recap – Jamf After Dark
- Of sharks, surveillance, and spied on emails – Lock and Code, Malwarebytes Labs
Just for Fun
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!