We got some really nice updates for the Pages, Keynote, and Numbers apps this week, across all platforms. A new beta for macOS 12 Monterey and iOS 15.1 (and siblings).
(Sponsor: vast limits)
uberAgent: application usage monitoring
uberAgent is an innovative user experience monitoring product for macOS and Windows. uberAgent’s highlights include detailed information about application performance, network reliability drill-downs, application usage metering, browser performance, and web app metrics. Try for yourself and get your free 100 user community license at uberagent.com.
We are all looking with some envy towards Hawaii where the Objective-by-the-Sea conference is happening.
Next week Tuesday is the start of MacSysAdmin Online!. It is, yet again, painful that we cannot meet in person. The sessions will be available for free every day according to the program. You can still support the conference by purchasing a T-shirt. When you do so you will get a small surprise from Scripting OS X, as well.
And then we have JNUC later this month. This conference is also free to participate, but requires registration. It is not too late!
More links at my overview of the most important MacAdmin conferences.
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
📰News and Opinion
- Apple Updates Pages with Screen View, Numbers with Pivot Tables, Keynote with Live Video, and More – MacStories
🐟macOS 12 Monterey and iOS 15
- macOS Monterey Beta 8 Update (21A5534d) is Live! What’s New? – Mr. Macintosh
- What Apple Admins Need to Know About iCloud Private Relay – Kandji Blog
- Blocking MacOS Updates: Monterey Edition – Pam Lefkowitz, JumpCloud
⚙️macOS and iOS Updates
🐦MacAdmins on Twitter
- Nathaniel Strauss: “iPadOS15 does not respect
allowEraseContentAndSettings. Anyone can go into Settings > General > Transfer or Reset and erase the device. The option isn’t grayed out. Please file cases and feel free to reference my own case number 101500664636″
- Rich Trouton: “TIL that Apple’s profile settings for Time Zone (timeZone) requires an underscore if something is two words: Right:
America/New YorkIf set incorrectly, the time zone defaults to using UTC.”
- Andrew Laurence: “OH: “Managing macOS Software Update is like building a house with cooked spaghetti.” “
🔐Security and Privacy
- Getting started in macOS security – Csaba Fitzl
- Apple AirTag Bug Enables ‘Good Samaritan’ Attack – Krebs on Security
🔨Support and HowTos
- Explainer: Logs – Howard Oakley
- How To: SAML Authenticated Device Enrollments – SimpleMDM
- Watch out for the Big Sur update from macOS Mojave! – Guillaume Gète
- Enabling full disk access for SSH on macOS Big Sur using a management profile – Rich Trouton
- How to undelete a file simply – Howard Oakley
- Why won’t Safari open that web page? – Howard Oakley
🤖Scripting and Automation
- jorks/sublime-jamflog: JamfLog is a Sublime Text syntax highlighter for Jamf Pro server logs
- Get familiar with notarytool (Xcode13) – Henry Stamerjohan
- If Unlock with Apple Watch isn’t working on your iPhone 13
- Pages 11.2: Mac, iOS, iCloud
- Keynote 11.2: Mac, iOS, iCloud
- Numbers 11.2: Mac, iOS, iCloud
♻️Updates and Releases
- Tony Williams – Mac Admins Podcast
- Skin In The Game – Part 1 with Tim Nyberg of The MacGuys — Command-Control-Power
- What role do app permissions play with work from home security? – Apple @ Work Podcast, 9to5Mac
- Teaching cybersecurity skills to special needs children with Alana Robinson – Lock and Code, Malwarebytes Labs
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!